Diablo Adios

mwillis

Diablo Adios

Post by mwillis »

I am looking at the Diablo Adios and wanted to see if anyone had experience with this kayak for saltwater flats.

Thanks,

Mike Willis
Okrasinski9

Re: Diablo Adios

Post by Okrasinski9 »

Pretty sure you can't put a rudder on the diablos. If that is that case, you DON'T want it. ESP if your going to be using it for salt water applications. Also, they aren't the sturdiest kayaks. You can count on running into sharp oyster reefs on the flats. I would go with an ocean kayak or a wilderness systems. Both great kayak bands.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

I haven't paddled any of those diablos but one thing looking at the specs of a couple of them, they tend to be wider than my mini-x and although they're longer than my mini, a good rule of thumb for the bay and flats is 13'+ and about 30" wide or skinnier if you can get away with it. The OK trident 13, Malibu X-13, MR 14, and I'm sure there are others but you can't go wrong with any of those. If you're going to go that wide for stability I'd look into a prowler big game or malibu x-factor and they should still be just as stable and faster than the diablos I've seen.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

At 36" wide you will not flip it. Its a special purpose paddleboard. Real easy to stand and cast from. Floats in next to nothing and its material of construction is simlilar to the Hurricane kayaks.
Will sell you mine for $800 with an anchor trolley included. Or, if you want to just test it, come to Rockport. A drop down skeg can be mounted and helps alot with tracking, but can't be turned like a rudder. Flat bottom vessels do not track and tend to slide if not being propeled. Just the nature of the beast.
Great for flats fishing. I can even stand on one rail its so stable.
vanjr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by vanjr »

Tombo wrote:At 36" wide you will not flip it. Its a special purpose paddleboard. Real easy to stand and cast from. Floats in next to nothing and its material of construction is simlilar to the Hurricane kayaks.
Will sell you mine for $800 with an anchor trolley included. Or, if you want to just test it, come to Rockport. A drop down skeg can be mounted and helps alot with tracking, but can't be turned like a rudder. Flat bottom vessels do not track and tend to slide if not being propeled. Just the nature of the beast.
Great for flats fishing. I can even stand on one rail its so stable.
May I ask why you are selling? It is on my "short list" of boats I want.

thanx
van (corpus)
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I want the Versa just because I can put two of them in my boat on one side of the console for extended trips.
The Diablo also has mounted a RAM tube rod holder for easy access to a fishing rod while poling.
mockayaks

Post by mockayaks »

We will have both the Diablo and Versaboard at our demos if ya'll can make it out to try them this weekend.

Our demo day's is this Saturday and Sunday 26th-27th from 10-3pm both days.

I will have the Diablo and Native Watercraft Rep available at the demo's so ya'll can pick their brains haha!

More info: http://www.mockayaks.com/kayak-demo-day ... a7562a8086

Dan Walker
MOC Kayaks
(512) 263-0004
jdangler

Post by jdangler »

Tombo wrote:I want the Versa just because I can put two of them in my boat on one side of the console for extended trips.
The Diablo also has mounted a RAM tube rod holder for easy access to a fishing rod while poling.
If you are still interested in selling this kayak please shoot me a pm
Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Doug Poudre »

Taking it out tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.
jdangler

Post by jdangler »

Doug Poudre wrote:Taking it out tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.
Did you buy it from him? or are you thinking about buying it?
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

Read Tombo's post and he pretty much said it all. This is a great bay yak for short trips, especially if you plan to stand and pole all day. If your trying to cover 7-8 miles (which every few do) then look at a 12' and up kayak
jdangler

Post by jdangler »

I have paddled one, I am just interested to see if he is still selling it for $800. If he is, depending on what kind of condition it's in, I would be interested in purchasing it.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Sold!
jdangler

Post by jdangler »

Tombo wrote:Sold!
figured as much - 800 is a pretty good deal
Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Doug Poudre »

mwillis wrote:I am looking at the Diablo Adios and wanted to see if anyone had experience with this kayak for saltwater flats.

Thanks,

Mike Willis
I wouldn't do it. It's a nicely laid out boat and it doesn't paddle as horribly as one might expect a 36" wide boat, but I wouldn't do it for the flats. The effort you put into keeping the boat going is tremendous. I was able to keep up with my dad in a T160, but I have a better than average technique.

It would be a great boat for floating down slow rivers and sight casting. That said, if you could do down wind runs on the flats and not have to paddle back into the wind, it wouldn't be bad.

There is considerable hull slap and it's wet paddling into the wind.

Conditions today were winds between 15 and 20, light chop on the flats. The boat was lightly loaded and I'm 5'11", 205lbs.

Hope this helps.
jdangler

Post by jdangler »

I am in North Texas - Saltwater fishing would be fun, but it's a bit a of a drive. I am looking at this boat because I like to get into the stump fields that are in the upper parts of the lakes around here and fish. I would rarely be paddling more than 2 miles. I want to be able to stand on it and pitch a lure/bait whatever a short distance.

I met up with a guy at Ray Roberts last saturday and test paddled one, it was my first time to ever be on a kayak and I was able to stand up and to some extent walk around on the kayak. It was far stabler than I thought it would be and I am 6'2" 225. I could probably dump it over standing, but I doubt sitting down that I could, I was able to lean over the side far more than I would in any normal situation.

I have kind of narrowed down my choices to the Adios and a Malibu stealth 12. Haven't paddled the stealth yet going to try and check one out this weekend. The stealth has the built in bait tank and rod holders, but less standing area. If any of you guys have any insight on this I am open to it, I have done some extensive research on these forums, which has been extremely helpful.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Doug Poudre wrote:
mwillis wrote:I am looking at the Diablo Adios and wanted to see if anyone had experience with this kayak for saltwater flats.

Thanks,

Mike Willis
I wouldn't do it. It's a nicely laid out boat and it doesn't paddle as horribly as one might expect a 36" wide boat, but I wouldn't do it for the flats. The effort you put into keeping the boat going is tremendous. I was able to keep up with my dad in a T160, but I have a better than average technique.

It would be a great boat for floating down slow rivers and sight casting. That said, if you could do down wind runs on the flats and not have to paddle back into the wind, it wouldn't be bad.

There is considerable hull slap and it's wet paddling into the wind.

Conditions today were winds between 15 and 20, light chop on the flats. The boat was lightly loaded and I'm 5'11", 205lbs.

Hope this helps.
Was that your dad and you I was talking to in the Highland marsh Thursday???
Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Doug Poudre »

Yep. I normally paddle the Magic.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Same here just had the T160 down off the rack for a rudder the day before. Did ya'll do any good?
Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Doug Poudre »

Saw one red all day and I couldn't get into position fast enough.