Kayaking Safety

Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Cold water immersion

Post by Doug Poudre »

hickoxp posted this video in the new to kayaking thread. It's really informative and expresses the importance of wearing a PFD when immersed in cold water. It's professionally done and worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc
Saltstalker

Re: Kayaking Safety

Post by Saltstalker »

Could a frequent kayak-er please suggest their favorite type of PFD for fishing , that they wear often.
With comfort being the main component , because I want to WANT to put it on every time.
Ive just made my first Yak purchase , and this is my next purchase before it hits the water.
Thank you , D
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

Cofisher wrote:Could a frequent kayak-er please suggest their favorite type of PFD for fishing , that they wear often.
With comfort being the main component , because I want to WANT to put it on every time.
Ive just made my first Yak purchase , and this is my next purchase before it hits the water.
Thank you , D

http://www.austinkayak.com/subcategory/ ... water-PFDs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just about any of these will work, try them on, walk around the store while you shop with it on, sit in one of their demo yaks with a paddle and take a few swings, and pick one you're comfortable with. These are made with kayakers and canoeists in mind with large arm holes for freedom of movement, and high backs so as not to interfere with your seating.
YakAggie

Post by YakAggie »

I'm taking my yak out for the first time this weekend. Reading these safety tips has helped a lot! There are a few more safety items I need to buy before going out.
viffer07

Post by viffer07 »

pfd who needs it??? i ride high performance motorcycles, even destroyed a few. i always wear the safety gear. it does cause a lot of sweat and is uncomfortable. i've heard riders say "i'll put my helmet on when i need it" good luck.
signed: LIVING PROOF SAFETY GEAR WORKS.
hardheadted

Post by hardheadted »

I was looking at the Gulfport, Ms CL, my son lives there, and came across this. I truly hope things come out OK for this person but missing this long isn't good. I believe the ad would have been pulled if he had been found.. It is a great reminder to all of us.. Try to always have a partner, or at least let others know when you leave, where you're going and when you plan to be back. Sad....
http://gulfport.craigslist.org/boa/3836217514.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JPaul

Post by JPaul »

hardheadted wrote:I was looking at the Gulfport, Ms CL, my son lives there, and came across this. I truly hope things come out OK for this person but missing this long isn't good. I believe the ad would have been pulled if he had been found.. It is a great reminder to all of us.. Try to always have a partner, or at least let others know when you leave, where you're going and when you plan to be back. Sad....
http://gulfport.craigslist.org/boa/3836217514.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think that add is false - look at the bottom of the new story http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_n ... d-everyone

Sadly though - it appears someone by the name is missing and still not found.
quibbly

Post by quibbly »

If you're new to yaking, learn to get back on if you dump. I dumped today and it is a learning experience. I went back to the canal house and practiced till proficient.
hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

Coast Guard Sector Corpus Christi diverted an MH-65 Dolphin rescue helicopter and launched a 45-foot Response Boat — Medium from Coast Guard Station Port Aransas.

The helicopter located the man an hour later clinging to the kayak which was half sunk in the water approximately 1 mile offshore and 8 miles north of Packery Channel. The helicopter vectored in the response-boat crew and a Packery Patrol boatcrew, who recovered the man and his kayak.

“This is the type of mission we train for every day,” said Petty Officer 2nd Class John Wall, the helicopter flight mechanic. “Fortunately, the man was wearing a life jacket and the reporting source was able to give us an accurate description of his kayak and location.”

The man was taken to Coast Guard Station Port Aransas and is in good condition

from this I glean the kayak driver had either:

1. Hardware failure. boat sank.
2. medical issue that did not allow for self rescue
3. did not have the training
4. did not have supportive equipment, paddle float, sturrip.

The reporting source? Was not the kayaker? no radio?
SpeckledTex

Post by SpeckledTex »

Looks like I'll be sewing on my PFD. Practicing re-entry, getting first aid kit, stealing daughters CD that I do not like, and encouraging all my buddies to fish with someone. Did I mention being part of this organization is the best thing I could add to my kayak. Great info to all.
falcon2

Post by falcon2 »

Pleas bare with me I cant spell. This is a eye opener thread. I want to add some thing.
I carry a laser, it is a 3 watt blue. I payed a guy on the laser pointer forum to make it for me. You can also go to
survival lasers .com. If you are trapped on the water at night ,it can be the best signaling device ever.

Mine is a 3 watt blue laser, and it can be seen for Miles. I know for sure if you are stuck on the water at night
and a airplane flies over, just signal the pilot, and someone will be along shortly to take your ass to jail.
Trust me.
Jimbo!

Post by Jimbo! »

Doug Poudre wrote:What is the effectiveness of CPR in lightning victims? (October 2004)
There has been a statement in wilderness medicine circles that 7 of 10 people with cardiac arrest
from lightning strike will survive with prompt and effective CPR. The available statistics show
that 7 of 10 lightning strike patients survive, but it does not specify how many of these people
had a cardiac arrest.
The available data is not specific enough to say whether there is a higher
survival rate for cardiac arrest from lighting versus cardiac arrest from other causes. In favor of
the patient who has a cardiac arrest from lightning might be youth, health, the absence of
underlying heart or lung disease and no hypoxia before arrest. Not in their favor might be trauma
and remote location.

Taken from Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS Curriculum Updates. http://rendezvous.nols.edu/files/WMI/Cu ... WFRR09.pdf

I found this to police myself.

If it is all the same to you, if I am in this situation, go on and do the CPR on me. I will thank you later.
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by billy bobba »

I haven't watched these videos all the way through - so don't blame me if something's not right ---

"The Gulf Coast Kayak fishing Association held a kayak safety seminar and kayak re-entry clinic. The seminar was also filmed and made into 2 videos. The first video discusses kayak safety, gear and the law requirements. The second video demonstrates kayak re-enrty techniques and the use of the water bugs self rescue ladder. "

Safety Seminar
http://vimeo.com/69443457#at=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kayak re-entry
http://vimeo.com/69857024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

I get an error message saying that there is a bad link on the first video. The second one plays okay. That stinks because I really wanted to watch the first one.
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by billy bobba »

Don't know - comes up fine for me ?
Maybe try copying the link and posting in your browser directly.
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

I was trying the link on my phone. I will try it on the computer when I get home.
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

Those that don't fear the water , don't fear death! I love the ocean and even lakes, and rivers . Have you not been in a powerful current, seen jaws, been flonder gigging and seen hundreds of stingrays all over? Do you know waft a catfish barb can do to you ? Imagine a quicky brought in kingfish still full of energy and thrashing in hopes to
Make it back to its comfort zone the water. Man of war ?

I always wear my pfd, keep
My phone on me, have small first aide kit , carry a knife .

I still need a radio before i start to explore btb and will always have people with me when I'm out in the open water .

Thanks for all of the anglers who give us the knowledge they have gained , it's very helpful, life saving , and greatly appreciated ! I've got lots to learn but I'm a sponge and want to learn .

Fish on

Coastie
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

I take my VHF with me even if I'm with experienced guys in shallow water because I know they don't. If something goes wrong and minutes count, you're usually an hour paddle away and without a radio, that could be bad.
Shadow_Fox

Post by Shadow_Fox »

I remember when I first got on this site even thinking about going out without your PDF was enough to get your butt dry docked and kicked. It is always good to brush up on safety. As much planning as we do it is always that one small item that we forgot that gets us in trouble
tandk2012

Post by tandk2012 »

I am a beginner and my kayak flipped on me in 19 ft water thank god had pfd and whistle on as about 15 to 20 feet from bank was very hard to move the kayak . Finally after about idk 20 min got on the bank pulled kayak up to find out it was filled with water . I didn't inspect the kayak before setting out and the drain plug was missing.
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by billy bobba »

Cold Water --

http://www.boatingsafetymag.com/boating ... SOC&dom=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nektgen

Post by nektgen »

Try amazon.
Thanks.
[img]http://freetspics.gq/2/o.png[/img]
OzFnD

Post by OzFnD »

Safety for me is wearing a standards approved PDF,
I keep my VHF , EPIRB, Strobe Safety Light , Rescue Light etc on my vest
I do this incase I get seperated from my kayak, also in the rear hatch of my Hobie Outback I keep a survival / first aid/ emergency kayak repair kit.
Some days going offshore I leave a pair of free diving fins inside the hull , if worst case scenario my kayak is damaged / sinks slowly I can at least get back to shore if current is a bit strong ( Aussie Ocean Conditions). I also keep a hand pump for leaks.

If fishing areas known to great white sharks or bull sharks I use lures only and no bait
Less scent / trails in the water the better.

Cheers

OzFnD
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

The best thing you can do is to be prepared. Wear your PFD at all times while on the water, If not for you then for your families. I never see a missing kayaker story that says the kayaker was last seen wearing a PFD. Weather and water conditions can change quickly. Have at least the basic safety equipment. If possible attach it to your PFD. A knife, a flashing strobe or some kind of signaling device like a mirror and a whistle can all be attached to your PFD or carried in the pockets. I recently added a waterproof phone case so my phone will hang around my neck and I am purchasing a floatable VHF radio. If something happens and I am in a bad situation and get separated from my kayak, I want to at least be able to call for help.

Take a safety class and learn how to do a deep water re-entry into your kayak.

At the very least, wearing your PFD will enable your body to be found so your family can get closure.
Brucell

Post by Brucell »

X
Last edited by Brucell on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.