Saltwaters pliers?

teen yaker

Saltwaters pliers?

Post by teen yaker »

I'm in the market for new pliers (I know, I know. This is like my 5th post this month about which thing I should buy...)

Anyway, i'm tired of the frustrating problem of my pliers seizing up after every use and not cutting braid/mono well (I do clean them with freshwater after a trip --- sometimes :oops: ). So i'm done with the cheap "stainless steel" (the low grade ones) pliers. I've tried the aluminum pliers, (adaro P-lines, and the accurate) they look nice, but they flex a LOT (especially when dehooking fish) and are complete garbage in functionality because of this :horse: IMO. So now I'm looking at the titanium pliers and have done a little research on them and from what i've seen and read, it seems like they are impervious to rust, very strong, and virtually indestructible. So i'm leaning towards either titanium or maybe *high quality* stainless steel pliers. They're expensive (I know), but I don't mind paying for something that'll last a lifetime. ----- that is if I don't drop them overboard :cry:

Titanium pliers:

•Van stall titanium plier's (best)

•Ego Ti22 pliers (i've heard the handles could be loose)

•Cuda titanium pliers

Stainless steel pliers:

•Donnmar side cutter sta inlets steel pliers. (Cheaper)

I know some of you are just fine with using the $15 pliers :roll: , and I also know that I could buy like 23 $15 pliers for the price of a Vann stall. But I want pliers that'll last a lifetime and won't have to be replaced every month.

Does any anyone have any insight/personal experience with the pliers I listed or know of a better option? I'm currently leaning towards the Van stalls as I hear nothing but great things about them. Any more good stainless steel pliers I could look at (couldn't find that many)? I want to have new pair of pliers by this weekend since that's when I'm going back to the coast to fish offshore. 8)

Thanks, and no need for people to judge me for wanting nice things :? . My money! :dance:
TigerLandSportsman

Re: Saltwaters pliers?

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

So spraying with WD40 or some kind of anti rust spray is out of the question?
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

TigerLandSportsman wrote:So spraying with WD40 or some kind of anti rust spray is out of the question?

I've done that (I even keep a can in the boat/kayak) I spray everything with it (reels, hooks lures, and pliers) the pliers (at least the ones I've used) still rust shut.
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

I've been using a set of aluminum pliers from PLine (~$30) and they seem to be holding up so far. I wanted to see if this price point got the job done before overspending. I also have a set of pliers from Gander Mountain that I found on sale for about the same price. Both sets are very similar in their look, functionality, and feel. I'm primarily using the PLine set and the performance and value seem to be good so far. I thought they were titanium, but the handles are actually machined aluminum.

I too am tired of pliers that rust shut and I've bought many over the years. Salt has a way of corroding everything. I'm curious to see how these models hold up.

http://p-line.com/tools/adaro-pliers/adaro-pliers
Last edited by habanerojooz on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

My H2O all aluminum pliers from Academy all of $22 have lasted for two years now without any rust or defects...why go out and spend high dollar for something that does the same as high priced items. Like Igloo's and Yeti's or Costa's and Berkley's.
Don't over think it...just saying.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

habanerojooz wrote:I've been using a set of aluminum pliers from PLine (~$30) and they seem to be holding up so far. I wanted to see if this price point got the job done before overspending. I also have a set of pliers from Gander Mountain that I found on sale for about the same price. Both sets are very similar in their look, functionality, and feel. I'm primarily using the PLine set and the performance and value seem to be good so far. I thought they were titanium, but the handles are actually machined aluminum.

I too am tired of pliers that rust shut and I've bought many over the years. Salt has a way of corroding everything. I'm curious to see how these models hold up.

Yeah, I had those exact pliers (the adaro P-lines) they looked awesome, so I bought them. But I return them a few days later because the side cutter blades kept loosening and falling off (ended up losin one blade). Then, whenever I tried to unhook fish or bend hooks/wire the pliers would bend and then not close down right, they were very flexible and not solid at all... so I bought the accurate pliers because they were supposed to be of better quality, but I had the same problems with then flexing. They never rusted though...

And for them not being titanium. Some manufacturers will say their pliers are titanium bonded, colored, etc. But they're really just aluminum or steel. You won't be able to even touch solid titanium pliers for under $200.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

kickingback wrote:My H2O all aluminum pliers from Academy all of $22 have lasted for two years now without any rust or defects...why go out and spend high dollar for something that does the same as high priced items. Like Igloo's and Yeti's or Costa's and Berkley's.
Don't over think it...just saying.

I get that they serve the same purpose, but some do it better. Like igloos hold ice for a day, but yeti hold ice for a week. Or Costas are more durable and are clearer, have more lense options for different light; while Berkley's will get scratched on the first trip and only come in one lense color (Now I feel bad because I have both yeti and Costa products... :oops:). Heck, all kayaks serve the same general purpose. A hobie and a pelican (huge price difference. Like $400 compared to over $2,000) will both do the same thing and serve the same purpose, but the hobie will be much more enjoyable to use (better at it too) than the pelican.

Who knows, maybe the aluminum pliers I used were defects.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

http://floatingpliers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought one for $8 about 2 years ago. No problems so far, cuts braid, metal "lips" can be replaced (I didn't have to so far -- and I fish more than most ppl on this forum), everything else is plastic.

They are $10 now:
http://penfishingrods.com/shop/product_ ... tem_id=154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimBeaux

Post by JimBeaux »

Not pliers but might be something of interest. I will be damn before I pay $11 for this but....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6C77EQ/re ... 5F01&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

LOL I know what you mean...I have watched videos where igloos held ice for as long as a yeti. As for my $10 berkley's I wear (have been wearing for 6 months now) they may scratch sometime but I will not cry like a baby when they blow off my head doing 4 mph in my yak like I would with a $250 pair of costa's...LOL!!
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

Crusader wrote:http://floatingpliers.com/

I bought one for $8 about 2 years ago. No problems so far, cuts braid, metal "lips" can be replaced (I didn't have to so far -- and I fish more than most ppl on this forum), everything else is plastic.

They are $10 now:
http://penfishingrods.com/shop/product_ ... tem_id=154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boom!^ And that's a bold statement as to fishing prowess. :wink:
SmileDoc

Post by SmileDoc »

I too am having this struggle going through way too many pliers. But I wade fish once a month with guide Jay Watkins out of Rockport and he is currently using the Foreverlast pliers which when I asked him last month, said that they were good for unhooking and seemed to be holding up well. He wades with them 5-6 times a week, on his belt, hanging in the water. Schools of upper limit reds are common and to unhook from those bigger fish has not been a problem. We talked about the cutting blades but there was no glowing comments, and yet no negative comments either.

In another type of pliers, I can't recommend strongly enough, off of eBay, is the "Fishing Pliers Scissors Line Cutter Remove Hook Tackle Stainless Steel Tool". It is less than $3 with free shipping. Now it is only about 4" long but I use it to flawlessly cut braid as well as mono. Additionally, it is the best in opening split rings. I frequently switch out my treble hooks for singles fishing grassier areas of Rockport. It is not used to unhook fish. I keep it in my chest wading pouch or my top shirt pocket when wading so it is constantly immersed in saltwater. For over a year and a half now it has never rusted or acted like it wanted to freeze up. I bought 3 initially and this mid-summer, seeing how well it has held up, I bought 5 more! So when I'm 102 I should still have a new pair laying around to fish with!!!
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

I have several sets. The P Lines have some oxidation on one handle after several years, but are 100% functional. The Everlasts are 100% after two years. The best ones I have found are from Penn. All were $30 or less. A friend had issues with one of his cutters repeatedly coming loose (not sure what brand his were); a drop of blue LocTite cured that. I seldom spray my pliers with anything, but they DO get a thorough fresh water rinse as soon as I get to the RV or the house, every time.
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

The foreverlast G2 pliers are anodized aluminum and are virtually corrosion proof; I'll wade with them completely submerged in the salt and not even worry to wash them off afterwards. The one drawback is that being aluminum, the jaws teeth will wear out on the harder steel hooks making it a tad bit harder to get a grip on the hook sometimes; they have since solved this problem by adding replaceable stainless steel jaws on the G3's.

Ive fished with a guide that used those expensive titanium pliers; they still worked fine, but were all rusted up. So spending the money on these would be unnecessary in my opinion.
Crusader wrote:http://floatingpliers.com/

They are $10 now:
These look great! Can't beat that for ten bucks.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

JimBeaux wrote:Not pliers but might be something of interest. I will be damn before I pay $11 for this but....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6C77EQ/re ... 5F01&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I actually have a few of those. They worked great until they rusted apart.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

Okay, I'll give the aluminum pliers another try (maybe the ones I got came from a bad batch) :roll: . Hopefully they work for my upcoming trip. If they don't, i'm getting van stalls at the nearest store I can find. Tbh, part of me wants the titanium because of their functionality, but another part of me just wants a new toy to ooh and ahh over :lol:

Heck, if the fishing isn't good (and the aluminum ones don't work out), at least I can look my new shiny pliers.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you buy from Academy or another store with a good return policy you can just take them back and get a new pair if they do corrode in any way. They don't even ask for a receipt!
I have been through 3 pairs of waders exchange with no problems. Heck the pin hole leaks I got after a few months of heavy use could have been from me being clumsy or from a hook but they don't care. They took them back each time.
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

During a fishing trip, removing hooks is what I use pliers for 90% of the time.

Although pliers are great for removing hooks, I also use one of those t-handle hook removal tools. I like those tools because you can easily grab the bend or shank of the hook and then you can push the hook down to pop it out. You can do this same move with pliers, but the t-handle tool is much easier to hold and use for that move, especially if the hook is deep down in the mouth. I can remove a deep hook faster and easier with a t-handle tool than I can with a pair of pliers, and with less trauma to the fish. Since I release most of my fish, this is important to me.

The t-handle hook removal tools come in several sizes and I find that the smaller version works fine for inshore fishing. Regardless of size, they all look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3510068409 ... noapp=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nevertheless, I still need good pliers and the rebuildable aluminum pliers appear to be a good thing for now.
Ahart321

Post by Ahart321 »

I have a pair of H20 pliers and I spray them with WD40 every time and I have had them for over 2 years and they work perfect. I think I paid $15.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/h2o-xpr ... tid=124902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

habanerojooz wrote:During a fishing trip, removing hooks is what I use pliers for 90% of the time.

Although pliers are great for removing hooks, I also use one of those t-handle hook removal tools. I like those tools because you can easily grab the bend or shank of the hook and then you can push the hook down to pop it out. You can do this same move with pliers, but the t-handle tool is much easier to hold and use for that move, especially if the hook is deep down in the mouth. I can remove a deep hook faster and easier with a t-handle tool than I can with a pair of pliers, and with less trauma to the fish. Since I release most of my fish, this is important to me.

The t-handle hook removal tools come in several sizes and I find that the smaller version works fine for inshore fishing. Regardless of size, they all look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3510068409 ... noapp=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nevertheless, I still need good pliers and the rebuildable aluminum pliers appear to be a good thing for now.

I've hook remover very similar to those. They work great.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

kickingback wrote:If you buy from Academy or another store with a good return policy you can just take them back and get a new pair if they do corrode in any way. They don't even ask for a receipt!
I have been through 3 pairs of waders exchange with no problems. Heck the pin hole leaks I got after a few months of heavy use could have been from me being clumsy or from a hook but they don't care. They took them back each time.

I have no doubt academy will accept returns, that's where I returned my last pliers. I just want pliers that will never give out, rust, bend, etc... I'd rather be fishing than returning.
Endo

Post by Endo »

teen yaker wrote:
habanerojooz wrote:I've been using a set of aluminum pliers from PLine (~$30) and they seem to be holding up so far. I wanted to see if this price point got the job done before overspending. I also have a set of pliers from Gander Mountain that I found on sale for about the same price. Both sets are very similar in their look, functionality, and feel. I'm primarily using the PLine set and the performance and value seem to be good so far. I thought they were titanium, but the handles are actually machined aluminum.

Yeah, I had those exact pliers (the adaro P-lines) they looked awesome, so I bought them. But I return them a few days later because the side cutter blades kept loosening and falling off (ended up losin one blade). Then, whenever I tried to unhook fish or bend hooks/wire the pliers would bend and then not close down right, they were very flexible and not solid at all... so I bought the accurate pliers because they were supposed to be of better quality, but I had the same problems with then flexing. They never rusted though...

And for them not being titanium. Some manufacturers will say their pliers are titanium bonded, colored, etc. But they're really just aluminum or steel. You won't be able to even touch solid titanium pliers for under $200.
Same here on those P-Line pliers that you can find on Amazon and other sites. First time the allen screw came loose and cutter blade fell off and lost. I ordered new blades, but the the blades broke when i was cutting a wire leader.

Pliers seem great, but the cutters on them suck. Bad. It is a common problem experienced by lots of people.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I've got the Plines.. I love them.. they're not made for cutting wire. Any aluminum plier is going to deflect too much with wire even with titanium cutters. Mine are working great with no issues. If you're into steel leaders I'd get something else.. but it's not a fault.. they designed it light for wading not cutting steel.
alwaysstuck

Post by alwaysstuck »

If you find a pair of pliers that you like (PLine as you said above) just take a dab of loc-tite put it on the screw and screw back in. That's an easy fix. I'm not saying there aren't better ones out there but my pair had he same problem and I did that, works great now.

A small bottle is like 5-10$ and I keep one around to use on different things. Easier than replacing whole items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

I'm glad I don't have this problem. I purchased a pair of pliers from Lowes 10 years ago and all I use it for is fishing. It goes in my wade pocket and is submerged the whole time. It's quality but I paid no more than 12 dollars. A little surface rust but it doesn't affect functionality. What amazes me is I haven't lost it, unlike the number of scissors I have gone through. Yes I only use it for hook removal. I know it could cut through wire but doesn't work on fishing line.(and why should it, it's not made for fishing) I carry a small pair of scissors worth no more than 5 dollars for snipping line. So it's just a thought. Sometimes you just have to get creative and forget about all this "specialty" equipment. Just because something is made for fishing doesn't mean it's good for fishing.