South Houston (pearland) kayak fishing club

PoolGuy

Re: South Houston (pearland) kayak fishing club

Post by PoolGuy »

I'm in too! I live in League City/Friendswood (Bay Area / 518)!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Coach9393

Post by Coach9393 »

I'd like to join. I don't have a kayak, I have an Ultraskiff 360. Hope that doesn't kick me out.
Attachments
IMG_4121.PNG
Capt. Dustin Lee

Post by Capt. Dustin Lee »

The SHKFC Constitution and By-Laws look good to me as well.

I'm looking forward to this and hope to meet more folks that love to do what I do every chance I can!! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

I'm looking at ways to raise the initial funds for the club right now. I'm thinking about a go fund me as the best way and make some t-shirts, decals, and give away a year membership for the top donation tier. My second idea is to just charge more for the first year membership and then drop the price. If we had 14 people pay $50 it would pay for all of the registration fees and let us have a bit left over in the bank. Any other ideas are welcome. I also need to make two changes to the bylaws to add more specific duties to the officers and add the ACA member requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bushwing

Post by bushwing »

We should try and have a fund raiser where we can get together and meet each other and possible families. A place we could sit and eat or grab a drink and get some of the proceeds back as a donation. I will try and hit up Hooter and others such places off of 288 tomorrow. Will keep you posted
Boiler

Post by Boiler »

I live in Pearland and would definitely be interested! Please count me in!
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

bushwing wrote:We should try and have a fund raiser where we can get together and meet each other and possible families. A place we could sit and eat or grab a drink and get some of the proceeds back as a donation. I will try and hit up Hooter and others such places off of 288 tomorrow. Will keep you posted
That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for helping out. I'm making some good progress on the website and forum. I've been working late a lot lately so it's slowed me down a bit.

Once that's up we'll have a good place to inform people about the club and a forum to communicate club business with each other.

Specready

Post by Specready »

Hey....just read your post. I live between Houston central and Bayou Vista. I am very intrested. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help get this off the ground.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
bushwing

Post by bushwing »

Hey everyone I made some phone calls yesterday and got some info for fund raising. Chili's on Broadway in Pearland is the one that would be able to help us out. I got some info but waiting to speak to main manager.

1. Days available are Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.
2. They may provide a flier to hand out.
3. It can be an all day event so from lunch until Dinner.
4. They give us 15% of what is collected from customers who order and mention our fund raiser.

Now I will know the full details as soon as I can schedule a time to speak with the main manager, and I will continue to keep everyone posted.

If you want to know any specific info or have a date in mind let me know, and I'll try to get them answered when I speak to the manager.
Bradw693

Post by Bradw693 »

As soon as possible!
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

bushwing wrote:Hey everyone I made some phone calls yesterday and got some info for fund raising. Chili's on Broadway in Pearland is the one that would be able to help us out. I got some info but waiting to speak to main manager.

1. Days available are Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.
2. They may provide a flier to hand out.
3. It can be an all day event so from lunch until Dinner.
4. They give us 15% of what is collected from customers who order and mention our fund raiser.

Now I will know the full details as soon as I can schedule a time to speak with the main manager, and I will continue to keep everyone posted.

If you want to know any specific info or have a date in mind let me know, and I'll try to get them answered when I speak to the manager.
Sounds great! It's awesome that they are willing to help. Thanks so much for reaching out to people to get this thing going.
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Okay guys, I have our forum up. Sign up at http://www.shkfc.org/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and let's start communicating there. Those of you interested in holding office, please check out my post on there.

Thanks!
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

I'm planning on fishing before this front since I have Friday off. I'm going to fish Churchill bayou I think. PM me if you want to meet me out there

Bradw693

Post by Bradw693 »

Anyway you can make it out Thursday morning? I leave for the deer lease friday morning but wanted to fish thursday morning. Also, I registered for the shkfc! Figured I would post here in response to Churchhill but feel free to post there as well.
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Hey guys, I'm setting up our first meeting. Here's a link with the details: http://www.shkfc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reply if you're interested in coming.

Thanks!

Millsman5

Post by Millsman5 »

I would be interested for sure. Live in Dickinson but work in Pearland.

Let me know details and if you need any help
rossej56

Post by rossej56 »

Yak-n TX wrote:Lately I've been looking for a way to give back to the community and I've been doing research on starting a kayak fishing club for the South Houston area. I've decided it's something I would really like to do. To my knowledge there are several clubs in Houston but none located in the southern area. I live in pearland so the meetings would most likely take place close by.

I already have a rough draft of the club constitution and bylaws. It would operate as a non-profit and I'm planning on making the club an ACA club so we can do outings and possibly tournaments down the line.

Meetings would consist of doing reports about our club trips, demos, guest speakers, etc.

I'm trying to gauge interest to see if this something people would like to participate in. Club dues would be very affordable and get you an ACA membership for the year.

I'd just like to get some people together to have fun, promote kayak fishing, and conservation.

Chime in if you could see yourself becoming a member. If I can get 10-15 people interested I'll move forward with raising a bit of money setting it all up.

Thanks!

- Mike

I've also been wanting to do this but haven't acted on it as of yet. I live in Seabrook working towards retirement in the next 5 yrs. and think it's a great idea and way over due.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Locster73

Post by Locster73 »

Anyone in the Sugar Land area that want to meet up for Kayaking?
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

When you guys meet up, why don't y'all talk about having a for fun kayak fishing tournament. Everyone pays to enter but everyone knows it's for raising money. No prizes, just bragging rights. This will help to make all the money to go to the organization to help offset the expenses. IDK.... just throwing it out there to ya. Feel free to run with that if it sounds interesting. :)
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Yakety_Yak wrote:When you guys meet up, why don't y'all talk about having a for fun kayak fishing tournament. Everyone pays to enter but everyone knows it's for raising money. No prizes, just bragging rights. This will help to make all the money to go to the organization to help offset the expenses. IDK.... just throwing it out there to ya. Feel free to run with that if it sounds interesting. :)
Thanks for the idea man! I think this is a great idea. I'll bring it up at the next meeting and we'll see what we can do to organize it.

Also I've made an arrangement with the Bass Pro in Pearland to have our meeting in the lounge at the restaurant. This will take place on every 3rd Thursday of the month starting in February!

Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Forgot to mention the meeting starts at 6:30

rossej56

Post by rossej56 »

Also interested and think its a great idea !!!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Awesome! We are working on getting several tournaments set up right now. A few will be online tournaments and we're going to do a fundraiser tournament. I'm finalizing the rules and we just need to lock down a location.

Check out www.shkfc.org we will be updating it with all of our events and it should answer any questions you have. Our next meeting is March 16

slayer10

Post by slayer10 »

Just read this post and I immediately signed up! I live in Pearland and really look forward to meeting up with some like minded individuals trying to get on some fish like me. See y'all next Thursday at the meet!!
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

staflo84 wrote:Just read this post and I immediately signed up! I live in Pearland and really look forward to meeting up with some like minded individuals trying to get on some fish like me. See y'all next Thursday at the meet!!
Awesome man! We look forward to having you out.

Be sure to introduce yourself at the next meeting.

See you there!