Wading at the end of sportmans road

Floundapounda122

Wading at the end of sportmans road

Post by Floundapounda122 »

First off, I apologize for all the posts lately. I’m finally getting back into fishing after this school year since I will be going into my senior year of high school in 2019-2020. I’ve gotten into more wade fishing instead of kayak fishing but I still do have my kayak. That being said last summer I hit sportmans road twice. Caught two nice reddish both trips wading from the end of the road to the grass marsh and submerged grass flat to the west. My question is what is usually targeted in this area (trout, reds, flounder) and what lures are usually thrown and what areas should I focus on with the new rock wall being placed there?
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Re: Wading at the end of sportmans road

Post by Coastal Country »

What’s wrong with using the yak too wade fish? Make a drag chain anchor to keep the yak behind ya and take off. Just about anything will work in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DeeepSouth

Post by DeeepSouth »

I am a newb, but for what it’s worth... I went there a few weeks ago for my first ever saltwater kayak fishing trip. I promptly got skunked. Weather was terrible, but the feedback I got off of this site afterwards was that the fishing there has really declined since the Seawall was added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CAS

Post by CAS »

I can't comment as to whether it has declined or not but I have caught some solid fish there this year. My PB trout just under 26" and plenty of reds and other solid specs. This was back in May though as the weather got warmer I have not had as much luck but I have not been back in a while. Mind you this is all kayaking around the marsh area inside of the breakers that were put up.

IMG_9395.jpg
IMG_9407.jpg
IMG_9383.jpg
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Use your kayak to move arround and then park it and wade. That's really the best of both worlds. There are lots of times when being able to more just 100 or 200 yards quickly will make all the difference in the world.

Whats' there depends on when you fish it. Right now you can catch a couple resident redfish on the oyster and the rock will get better as time goes on, redfish love rocks. You might also catch a flounder or two.. but neither will be there in much numbers this time of year, but it's access and you can catch a couple.
Floundapounda122

Post by Floundapounda122 »

Yes I know this is one of my old posts from the summer, but will the fishing at sportsman’s be good in the fall? It looked as if it was good in the spring so I would think it would be about the same if not better from September- October.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I caught keeper reds, flounder, trout and a black drum during a few trips in August. Have no reason to expect they are gone!