Where to park to fish Pelican Island?

Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Where to park to fish Pelican Island?

Post by Ultrastealth »

I want to fish the shoreline on the Galveston side of Pelican Island on the West side near the bridge. I don't see any public parking close to there. Where do people park, because I see people fishing there?
ryanbaron

Re: Where to park to fish Pelican Island?

Post by ryanbaron »

Park on Texas A&M campus. It's like a dollar an hour to park there
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Huh... I thought only students/etc can park there.

Last time I looked into this this place was ok to park (as in "I couldn't find any signs that forbid me doing so"). But this means carrying your stuff to water... In any case, signage situation could've changed since then.

Overall, that area is locked up pretty tight -- along entire GSC there maybe only 2 or 3 launch spots available to general public.
Jigawatt

Post by Jigawatt »

Do they let you launch a kayak in Seawolf Park? I know it's a bit of a paddle to the other side of Pelican Island from there. I paddled from Galveston Yacht Basin all the way around Pelican Island one day. I won't ever cross the channel again with the boat and ship traffic I had to deal with, but the paddle around Pelican Island wasn't too bad. There was some current in the channel between Pelican Island and Galveston.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Sure, you can park at SWP, carry your stuff just outside of it and launch on either side. You can even stop, unload and move your car way down the road past "no parking signs" erected by helpful and ever-mindful local officials (where everyone parks during flounder run).

Launching on GSC side isn't very convenient due to rocks, but possible nevertheless.