Kayak found at Aransas pass

clebba

Kayak found at Aransas pass

Post by clebba »

Has anyone heard about this? Saw it on a Facebook page.

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/l ... dde7f.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yak Dog

Re: Kayak found at Aransas pass

Post by Yak Dog »

Thanks for sharing , I haven’t heard anything about it.
clebba

Post by clebba »

A little
More info is on the PINS & FINS II Facebook page. Coast guard has been searching. Someone claimed the kayak to be theirs, but was proven fraudulent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

This reminds me... We are all probably about to have to get our kayaks registered. We have the fine responsible kayakers like whoever owns that one to thank.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

TrailChaser wrote:This reminds me... We are all probably about to have to get our kayaks registered. We have the fine responsible kayakers like whoever owns that one to thank.
Agree I think it's coming. Probably has more to do with dollar signs but officials will use this as an example for sure.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

If you have your boat (+ radio) with a registered MMSI and have the MMSI certificate number marked in your boat, the Coast Guard already has you and your boat in their database -
- along with whatever contact information you registered.
I'm pretty sure you register a free MMSI even without a radio.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Ron Mc wrote:If you have your boat (+ radio) with a registered MMSI and have the MMSI certificate number marked in your boat, the Coast Guard already has you and your boat in their database -
- along with whatever contact information you registered.
I'm pretty sure you register a free MMSI even without a radio.
My Dad used to tell me IF is a big word- IF a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his a** every time he hopped. :lol:

If I had to guess I'd say the percentage of radios that are registered or even boaters that have a MMSI number is in the single digits. This is no doubt a great way to provide identification. I think a simple waterproof ID tag or sticker on the kayak would go a long way in terms of providing ID for the kayak(er).
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

again, you don't need a radio - you can register for a free MMSI and the Coast Guard has you in their database.
You do need a cell phone number to register for an MMSI.
Kayak dealers could offer it as a gratis option, and provide you an MMSI certificate with your new boat.
(It's just if you ever assign an MMSI number to your DSC radio, it has to match your hull).

It's also really easy to scan your certificate, print the number, and epoxy it to the inside of a hatch cover - the first place they would look for identification if they were searching for a missing kayaker and abandoned boat.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Corpus Noon News said the owner came forward to authorities. His yak was tied up and came loose. The news reiterated that we all need to put contact info on our kayaks. TexasJim
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote:
TrailChaser wrote:This reminds me... We are all probably about to have to get our kayaks registered. We have the fine responsible kayakers like whoever owns that one to thank.
Agree I think it's coming. Probably has more to do with dollar signs but officials will use this as an example for sure.
I can't fathom the cluster-f of paperwork that would be required if TPWD actually went through with registering kayaks. The follow up question would be what about canoes? SUPs? Surf boards? Windsurf boards? Intertubes? Where's the line going to be drawn?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

That will never happen - only 7 states register paddlecraft.
But the MMSI makes a lot of sense - all you need to obtain one is a cell phone number.

Without the MMSI, if your boat blows away, you send the Coast Guard on a search-and-rescue Sortie.
With the MMSI, they call you on your cell phone.

Of course you won't make the news and internet chatter.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Ron Mc wrote:That will never happen - only 7 states register paddlecraft.
I hope so. I'm sure not in favor of having to register my kayaks. But never is a long time.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'm honestly surprised MMSI registration is not required by Federal law to operate a paddlecraft within USCG jurisdiction.
It is such a simple safeguard.

I know one thing from experience - as soon as a power boat or kayak enters Brazos Santiago Pass, they are subject to USCG spot safety inspections.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I don't see any problems with MMSI registration (or any other government service for that matter). I am having a problem with making it mandatory. It is obviously not required for most kayakers, why burden everyone to benefit a few? (lol, sounds like kayaking Omabacare) Make it optional and those who need it will get it.

I am grown adult and can make sensible decisions for myself. And for that case when I fatally slip -- I have insurance to provide for my family (and no, I do not value my life so much that I want to make my living miserable by preparing for every possible way I could die). I don't need anyone to tell me I should waste my time because it is "better for everyone" (from someone else's point of view).
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

of course I'm talking about requiring those paddling in passes and offshore, where USCG may have to look for you - plus it's Free and the mechanism long-established
(it costs 150 b of computer storage and 10 min of your time).
Do the math, that's a small percentage of kayakers, and a pretty small effort for the improved responsibility.
For everyone, though, helps you with theft, helps USCG with negligence and real emergencies.

The entire subject of this thread is a wasted USCG search and rescue sortie, where the irresponsible party was home posting on facebook (he so stated on another forum) while the Coast Guard sortied to search for him.

Your fee in that sortie may have been very small, but it still cost.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Ron Mc wrote:of course I'm talking about requiring those paddling in passes and offshore, where USCG may have to look for you - plus it's Free and the mechanism long-established
(it costs 150 b of computer storage and 10 min of your time).
Ah, got it. Yes, it makes sense to make it mandatory for those going BTB/etc. If coast guards are forced (lets say by law) to perform a costly search in every such case -- you either stop doing that (change the law, kinda cold) or force everyone to make USCG life easier.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

If you go into harm's way, you have to do all you can to prepare for disaster, and be able to survive on your own. You can't expect the Coast Guard to rescue you. You should do what you can to be able to contact them.

A friend had a Ham Radio buddy crossing the Pacific, solo on a trimaran. He had solar panels, and a wind generator to keep batteries up, for radio and autopilot. My friend didn't hear from him for weeks. Finally, a call from Tahiti. His wind generator flung a blade off and it went through his solar panels! He had to hand steer for over 1000 miles! So much for preparation.

When I left Galveston on my sailboat in '83 and '87, crossing the Gulf, my friends said, "If anything goes wrong, you can just call the Coast Guard". WRONG! The ocean makes no allowances for amateurs and weak parts. It's not the Coast Guard's job to find and save the unprepared!

As "responsible" boaters, we should do all we can to reduce the burden on the government. If you go offshore, carry a radio. If you fish inshore, put a sticker on your kayak with contact info. If you kayak in the dark, have approved lighting.
Don't be a "user" of the public safety folks by short-cutting safety rules. When you cheat on safety, you only cheat yourself.

This kayaker was irresponsible for not contacting the authorities, causing them to do a search for more than a day.

TexasJim, stepping off soapbox.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

but still, this is very simple.
If he had an MMSI certificate for his kayak and marked in the boat, the Coast Guard would have called Him.
I agree there are other ways to attach your contact information to your boat (which you'd find if you opened my dry box), but the MMSI is a bonus because it's a permanent registration for the boat, and doesn't require permanently putting your name in the boat, which might affect its desirability to someone else, if you decide to sell it. The MMSI stays with the hull and transfers to the new owner.
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

I have these on the inside of the front hatch on all my kayaks with my info and my wifes...you never know 8)
FlyWilde

Post by FlyWilde »

Did anyone ever hear any updated info on this situation?
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

FlyWilde wrote:Did anyone ever hear any updated info on this situation?
This has been solved. Here is a article on this:

https://www.kristv.com/news/local-news/ ... -is-solved