Current fish patterns

Floundapounda122

Current fish patterns

Post by Floundapounda122 »

So I’m planning on taking a trip to Galveston west bay sometime this week. Weather seems good with it being in the 70s and water temps from low to mid 60s. I just can’t figure out where I’d find the fish right now. I don’t know if they’d be in the coves or in the marsh or in deeper water. I’ve never had much luck during early spring. My best luck has came in the summer or winter. How should I go about fishing with the conditions like they are now?
SteveRetrieve

Re: Current fish patterns

Post by SteveRetrieve »

I'd be curious too. My last outing was about 3 weeks ago on one of those rare cool, sunny, beautiful weather days and I found them deep from 6am til noon. It's warmed up quite a bit so I wouldn't be surprised if they've moved on. Nice and muggy out there, too.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Spring pattern can be tough. If you're looking for reds I would head for the marsh. Start at the mouth and guts looking for bait working your way to the back of the marsh. Glass minnows should be what they're feeding on. Afternoons can be better when the water warms. The baitfish are more active.
Jigawatt

Post by Jigawatt »

Early March has always been slow for me. I fish February with dead shrimp on the bottom for sheepsheads and drum and continue this behavior well into March until I either tire of catching big hardheads or see reds chasing glass minnows in the marshes, both of which should happen pretty soon now, as big hardheads and full-grown glass minnows infiltrate the marshes early Spring. Watch the birds. They love glass minnows, too. If you see bird activity in the shallows, there are probably gamefish there. The biggest problem with March is the wind. My gosh it's a windy month. If you happen to catch a calm evening, sit quietly after dark and listen for reds feeding on the surface. I've experienced in late March through April where big schools of reds coral and slurp glass minnows at night. You can't see them, but you can hear them. I paddle into the frenzy. The minnows are tightly bunched, and the reds are rolling and slurping. Funny thing, I throw every kind of lure and rarely get a hit. I inadvertently foul hook one on occasion because they are so tightly packed. Believe it or not, reds feed heavily at night in Spring. I think it's easy pickings because the glass minnows get into bait balls and are a little more vulnerable at night. Throw lures. Bring a pound of dead shrimp for just in case. Maybe you'll catch a sheepshead for dinner.