Twice in one weekend

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Twice in one weekend

Post by Prof. Salt »

Saturday was a tough day on the water with winds around 20, but I still managed a few fish on the 4 and a couple more on the 6. Monday was a little better but still breezy. Twice I was casting to tailing fish and put the fly behind the visible tails because sometimes the larger fish are hidden behind the front-runners. Instead of hooking the big reds, I hooked smallish trout. Unfortunately they tend to jump and head-shake, which breaks up the school. :? I guess trout must follow the schools of redfish for an easy dinner just like seagulls.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Twice in one weekend

Post by kickingback »

Nice flies (clousers?) to seal the deal on the bite! Well done Glenn and thanks for sharing! Love the pics.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Twice in one weekend

Post by Prof. Salt »

I finally graduated to something other than a Clouser design. These don't need any weight up front to get them to stay down, and the EP fibers soak up water to allow a nice slow descent. When the fly lands, it barely makes a ripple. Fish don't seem to care about the lure hitting the water, which is a nice change from most flies and all plastic baits. A loner redfish in 6" of water will be on high alert to avoid larger predators as it hunts. Any surprising splash will send them darting for deeper water, but I can place this fly a foot or two from the fish without scaring it. For that reason more and more of my redfish fly box is taken up with this type of design.