Heat related dangers

Tombo

Heat related dangers

Post by Tombo »

Heat exhaustion hit me yesterday like a brick. Humidity was high, not doing any real activity just mounting a gate bracket and drilling holes in my trailer. I suddenly became dizzy to the point where I could not stand up. Had to grab a pipe on my carport to make it to my fishing room 10' away. I knew my AC was on. Called my wife to come and get me. After a few minutes with my wife's help I made it to our house. Started drinking Gatoraid and water for fluids. I have not been the same since.
Now when I bend over I still get dizzy.
FYI, coffee and Diet Coke do not make for good fluids.
Please learn from my experience.

PS, can't wait for the north winds to get here.
outbreaker

Re: Heat related dangers

Post by outbreaker »

I have been there before. It can take days to get back to normal.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Yes, and not going outside until the cool front arrives. My T shirt was saturated.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Yes it is bad! I have missed the last 2 weekends of fishing because of the heat. And the weekend before that I rented a cabin with AC on Lake Bastrop. I could only fish the 2 early mornings I was there until about 11 am and then had to head back to the cabin in the AC. It was just to dangerous to be out in the sun during the day.
webmstrk9

Post by webmstrk9 »

FYI, if you need to replenish your electrolytes, Pedialyte works better than gatorade. Works great for hangovers as well
Wag

Post by Wag »

It is an awful, sick feeling. Probably the worst I've ever felt. Dehydration is painful. I've learned a lot about prevention. Thanks for the reminders.
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

Last time I had my yak out I struggled to get back to the launch. I drank 6 bottles of water in the 4-5 hours I was out, but it just wasn’t enough. To cap off the stupidity, I came home, unloaded all my stuff, then proceeded to mow the grass. For 2 days I could hardly move. Felt like I had been run over. The older I get, the more I realize I just can’t do the stuff I did when I was younger.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Your dehydration story hits home, Tombo, with us older fishermen. Glad you got help and learned to stay hydrated both on and off the water.

I learned to pack extra sugarless Gatorades kept as icy cold as possible. And remember to drink some down on a predetermined schedule whether you feel thirsty or not. The constant hydration is an insurance policy against passing out out there.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk