Need some help

2 Weight Willie

Need some help

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

I am looking for a spinning reel that will last a long time, buttery smooth, and under 170 dollars.

Also, I need some help with targeting big trout. I consistently struggle with catching gator trout. Dinks are no problem. ( only gator trout ever caught; 28,26,27,281/2,24,23,25,21) inch measurements. Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Need some help

Post by Ron Mc »

Buy from Japan with free DHL Express - you want a 3000 to 4000 size for inshore - stock is hard to find anywhere now.

https://fishing.asian-portal.shop/categ ... 0-to-19999

(they have a really trick Sephia with double handle in stock for $192, and Daiwa Blast 3500 for $189)
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Need some help

Ron Mc wrote:Buy from Japan with free DHL Express - you want a 3000 to 4000 size for inshore - stock is hard to find anywhere now.

Thanx

2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:Buy from Japan with free DHL Express - you want a 3000 to 4000 size for inshore - stock is hard to find anywhere now.

(they have a really trick Sephia with double handle in stock for $192, and Daiwa Blast 3500 for $189)
The exsence is SO DURN CHEAP!!!! 134 compared to 500 dollars wow!

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

again, stock is lean - if you find what you want in the right size, Grab It.
I'm a big fan of double or counter-balanced handles on spinning reels - they keep the reel from turning under gravity and give you a uniform feel on the full rotation - they make a difference on light-striking specs.
They look weird...
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Weight Willie

Ok, I see, so are these being bought from the factory?

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

they're just a Japan discounter - they sell 40 different models in Japan for the 10 or so they import to the US, and no one discounts them here, at least not until they're being closed-out for model changes.
If it makes you feel more confident, I've bought 3 reels and countless parts from that vendor, including a new Japan-market Vanquish for $300 ($500 retail).

since April, they've gone from express post free shipping to either Fed-Ex or DHL, and both are hugely reliable - delivery in about a week.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 Weight Willie

Hey, that's very good to know! Thank you

2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:they're just a Japan discounter - they sell 40 different models in Japan for the 10 or so they import to the US, and no one discounts them here, at least not until they're being closed-out for model changes.
If it makes you feel more confident, I've bought 3 reels and countless parts from that vendor, including a new Japan-market Vanquish for $300 ($500 retail).

since April, they've gone from express post free shipping to either Fed-Ex or DHL, and both are hugely reliable - delivery in about a week.
A week is pretty good considering it's from Asia

2 Weight Willie

One last question are the vanford better than the stradic fl 'cause I hear that the ci4s had noisy bearings after some use and th stradic stayed smooth and quiet. Isn't the vanford built on the same base as the ci4+

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Stradic is "couldn't pry from my cold dead fingers" etc.
Vanford is supposed to shine in UL (of course not a bench-made Vanquish), but Stradic is an inshore workhorse.
Twin Power is the only better choice than Stradic, because it has a metal rotor instead of Ci4+ (and also bench-made in Japan v. mass produced in Malaysia)
Other than the rotor, the rest of Stradic frame and spool is forged alloy.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 Weight Willie

My uncle uses the twin power and it feels SOLID, only used a stradic a few times and it feels good as well, ci4s always felt to "plasticky" and never liked them

Last edited by 2 Weight Willie on Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:Stradic is "couldn't pry from my cold dead hands" etc.
Vanford is supposed to shine in UL (of course not a bench-made Vanquish), but Stradic is an inshore workhorse.
Twin Power is the only better choice than Stradic, because it has a metal rotor instead of Ci4+

Also I noticed some string around the top of your reel. Extra precautions?

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

this combo usually rides behind me in a rocket launcher, and I clip a home-made leash using paracord buckles
All rods I'm carrying get the female buckle, and my current working rod is always in the front rod holder.
The out-of-sight, out-of-mind rod behind me is clipped to the leash.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 6#p2276106

Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:this combo usually rides behind me in a rocket launcher, and I clip a home-made leash using paracord buckles

Smart

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Will also add to this thread that I'm not a fan of high-speed reels.
Japan thinks we're nuts for them and that's all they send here. (another reason I buy in Japan is to get low-geared reels).
You have much more lure finesse and much more fish leverage with lower-geared reels.

Longer handles have the effect of both slowing down the reel and increasing your leverage.
I just decided I wanted one of the new shallow-spool Lew's SP to get better braid spooling in a low-inertia spool.
But it only comes with 8.3 gears, and a 95 mm handle. So I also ordered some parts from Japan - found Air bearings on sale, which will further slick up the light low-inertia spool, and added a 105 mm handle (half that is the handle pitch) to slow it down to where I want to fish.
2 Weight Willie

I have to agree. I have had 3 reels over 6:2:1 that have just "died" (gear stripped on big fish) I am a fan of the 5:2:1 ratio.

2 Weight Willie

2 Weight Willie wrote:I have to agree. I have had 3 reels over 6:2:1 that have just "died" (gear stripped on big fish) I am a fan of the 5:2:1 ratio.

(Probably didn't help having the drag extremely tight)

2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:Stradic is "couldn't pry from my cold dead fingers" etc.
Twin Power is the only better choice than Stradic, because it has a metal rotor instead of Ci4+ (and also bench-made in Japan v. mass produced in Malaysia)

What line is on that reel

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

been OOS all year - Florida Fishing Products Ghost Grey - best braid I know, Sufix 832 is a close second, but the Florida Distance Braid is coated 8-strand, really well-mannered, and freakishly small diameter. I'm sure it's from Japan, probably either YGK or Varivas.
It's also why I bought the shallow Yumeya spool, 200 m of PE 1.5 (about 15-20-lb braid).
That spool is a 1520, the original 4000 spool is a 2020 (200m PE2.0), and the 5000 spool is a 3020.
I carry my original loaded spool in a spool can in a net bag on a biner in my kayak lap hatch, just in case...carry a spare bait reel there also, and back-up 3-pc rods in my bow hold.
In my entire life, only broken one rod and it was last year on a fish - finished the trip on my back-up. Also got a warranty replacement on the broken rod.

Another upgrade I have on the reel is a braid-specific titanium line roller that spins like a bicycle wheel because it doesn't need seals. Every Shimano line roller up to top-line Stella is chromed brass, has to be sealed, and still has to be replaced from salt corrosion.
2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:been OOS all year - Florida Fishing Products Ghost Grey - best braid I know, Sufix 832 is a close second, but the Florida Distance Braid is coated 8-strand, really well-mannered, and freakishly small diameter. I'm sure it's from Japan, probably either YGK or Varivas.
It's also why I bought the shallow Yumeya spool, 200 m of PE 1.5 (about 15-20-lb braid).
That spool is a 1520, the original 4000 spool is a 2020 (200m PE2.0), and the 5000 spool is a 3020.
I carry my original loaded spool in a spool can in a net bag on a biner in my kayak lap hatch, just in case...carry a spare bait reel there also, and back-up 3-pc rods in my bow hold.
In my entire life, only broken one rod and it was last year on a fish - finished the trip on my back-up. Also got a warranty replacement on the broken rod.

Another upgrade I have on the reel is a braid-specific titanium line roller that spins like a bicycle wheel because it doesn't need seals. Every Shimano line roller up to top-line Stella is chromed brass, has to be sealed, and still has to be replaced from salt corrosion.
Oh, but they don't sell the 10, 15 lb line in 300 yard spools, so how much backing is on there?

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I bought the Florida braid from Tackle Direct when they did have 300 yd spools in stock.
If you try to load a basket at FFP, you'll find they only have 10-lb and big offshore braids in stock currently.
FFP last year had all sizes in spools to 1000 yd in stock.
But I typically back with pieces of heavier braid I have around.
The 1520 spool may not have been backed with heavier braid, don't remember.

Something else, if you decide to buy a reel from Japan, check their braid stock - they have more there right now than we have here.
2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:I bought the Florida braid from Tackle Direct when they did have 300 yd spools in stock.
If you try to load a basket at FFP, you'll find they only have 10-lb and big offshore braids in stock currently.
FFP last year had all sizes in spools to 1000 yd in stock.
But I typically back with pieces of heavier braid I have around.
The 1520 spool may not have been backed with heavier braid, don't remember.

Something else, if you decide to buy a reel from Japan, check their braid stock - they have more there right now than we have here.
O ok