Tent Camping at Matagorda Bay Nature Park

ben_beyer

Tent Camping at Matagorda Bay Nature Park

Post by ben_beyer »

There are some family situation changes that have happened in the past couple months and I probably won't be headed down to Port Aransas for vacation for a while. No one died or is getting a divorce and it's other curve balls life has thrown.

My wife is OK with me going down, spending the night, fishing the next morning and coming home and also working that where I drive down, fish the afternoon, spend the night, and drive home the next day. I've been looking at places to camp in a tent just because it's a lower cost than a Motel room and in the fall and spring cool enough at night to sleep.

So now I have a couple options. I can start fishing West Galveston and stay at Galveston Island State Park, continue to go down to the Port Aransas/Aransas Pass area and camp at Goose Island or Mustang Island State Parks, or make a move to East Matagorda and stay at the Matagorda Bay Nature Park.

East Matagorda has a little more attraction right now because I could also drive down, fish for 3-4 hours, and then drive back in the same day making spontaneous trips if the weather cooperates in the winter months or in the Fall and Spring as well.

So has anyone tent camped at Matagorda Bay Nature Park?
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Tent Camping at Matagorda Bay Nature Park

Post by Neumie »

I'm sorry to read about your family situation. Fishing is great, but taking care of your family is the most important.

When are you heading down; because this weekend is a no go.

I can't comment on the camping availability, so hopefully some one will chime in.

As far as fishing I suggest selecting an area which is close enough to make one day trips; so East Matagorda. First it's a great fishery and offers good protection from various winds. Having a spot close enough to make spontaneous day trips will make you a better angler.

If you're still starting to figure out saltwater fishing I always recommend fishing one area and one area only; at least for a year. Fishing the same location lets you pattern the fish and understand the structure of the area. You'll be able to figure out the seasonal pattern of where fish move depending on the weather and time of the year. This will also let you hone your skills. From there you can then apply that knowledge to new spots. Constantly jumping from one spot to another for each day or trip you'll end up second guessing yourself and not fully understanding why one day was great and the other was not. Also, keep a fishing journal.

If East Matagorda is close enough to do one day trips; I highly recommend learning those waters well.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I camped there about a year and a half ago during the summer. Just drive past the welcome center to the beach right on the Colorado River. Free camping on the river. I know the RV park is right there but not sure if they allow tent camping where the RVs and facilities are. You will have company and sometimes people driving up all through the night. Lots of fishing options around there though and the sunsets are beautiful looking across the river.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I have jumped around the Corpus area a little and tried the Aransas River Delta outside of Bayside and Port Bay.

After having limited success I've been trying different areas of Redfish Bay the past few years to learn it and really tried to explore around B&R the past two times I went down. I even got out of the kayak and waded a few areas. It definently helped me understand the structure better than moving to different areas constantly.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Cityfisher wrote:I camped there about a year and a half ago during the summer. Just drive past the welcome center to the beach right on the Colorado River. Free camping on the river. I know the RV park is right there but not sure if they allow tent camping where the RVs and facilities are. You will have company and sometimes people driving up all through the night. Lots of fishing options around there though and the sunsets are beautiful looking across the river.
This area you mean?
Matagorda Visitor Center.jpg
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

ben_beyer wrote:
Cityfisher wrote:I camped there about a year and a half ago during the summer. Just drive past the welcome center to the beach right on the Colorado River. Free camping on the river. I know the RV park is right there but not sure if they allow tent camping where the RVs and facilities are. You will have company and sometimes people driving up all through the night. Lots of fishing options around there though and the sunsets are beautiful looking across the river.
This area you mean?

Matagorda Visitor Center.jpg
Yes, right on the river
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Sorry Ben about the curve balls life has been throwing at you and your family. Hopefully that will improve in short time!

I have camped at the RV park there many times. Yes they do allow tent camping at the park. I've also seen tents staked out between the RV parking spots and the water. There's a nightly camp site rate then I believe a $5 per person fee also but the advantage is you have electricity, peace and quiet and your stuff is safe. As Cityfisher stated you can camp on the water but the draw back is you'll have people there fishing until way past midnight playing music, talking and having a good time but I can see where it would be hard to sleep. And there are a couple of areas you can at times get to in a 2 wheel drive but it's best to have 4wd for this area. That said Matagorda East Bay is a great place to fish. The wind is my only complaint. Once you get out into the open bay it can often be brutal in a kayak. Heck even in a boat it can get rough in a hurry.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

My truck has four wheel drive but I'm also hesitant to go way down the beach on the Gulf Side to some of the other launch points in case I get stuck.

Personally I would rather not camp on the beach just to keep sand out of stuff.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I hear ya on the sand. I am a solid 3 hours and change from either East Matty or Rockport. For one day of fishing I don't camp or get a room any more. I get up and make the drive in the morning, fish until mid to late afternoon and head home. I just sleep a lot better in my bed than I do in a tent cot.
Ken J
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ken J »

The PACK Club has tent camped at all of the mentioned Parks and have the noted comments.

Matagorda Bay Nature Park - Good bathrooms. PACK usually makes its way down the beach 3 mile cut (4x4) and camp on the bay

Goose Island State Park
- So so bathrooms

Mustang Island State Park - Bathrooms in need of upgrades

San Luis Pass County Park
Park Address: 14001 CR 257 (Blue Water Highway) Freeport, TX 77541
(979) 233-6026
http://www.brazoriacountytx.gov
PACK holds its annual fishing tournaments at the County Park. They have cabins you can rent, good for families ($ budget). No tent camping.
San Luis Pass features paved full service RV camping, cabins, a climate-controlled meeting room with kitchenette, interpretive center, pavilion, restrooms, a playground, fish cleaning stations, paved parking, and a boat launch.

Alternative:
SLOWRIDE GUIDE SERVICES

Aransas Pass, TX.
(361) 758-0463
https://www.slowrideguide.com/
Dean has rental Accommodations ($$ High End)
PACK has utilized these Accommodations several times, very nice.

Tight Lines
Ken J
Last edited by Ken J on Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

It always helps to get out and camp. I have camped out on the three mile cut a few times it wasn’t bad . Make sure you bring some fire wood . You and I had a plan to go last year one weekend but plans fell through. Maybe I will see you out there sometime, I usually stop and talk to the kayakers when I see them.