A Goodbye and an Open Invite

Neumie
Site Admin

A Goodbye and an Open Invite

Post by Neumie »

Like many of those whom interact on TKF, the news of TKFStubb retiring and shuttering this forum was met with shock and denial. A stalwart within the kayak community of not only Texas, but the US, will soon to disappear from our daily lives.

For over 18 years TKF has been a place I've sought wisdom, friendship, and laughter. Now, with its eminent death, I realize I've found more.....family. It's hard to elaborate on this other than to say, Thank you Tom and all those behind the scene who have kept website running for so long.

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.”― Mitch Albom

I've met and fished with so many kayakers on here that I want to extend a perpetual invite. If you're looking for a fishing buddy or some advice for fishing around the Rockport/Aransas Pass/Port Aransas/Corpus Christi area shoot me text; Two-One-Zero - 865 - Three-Seven-Eight-One.

PS - To solve the greatest mystery to ever grace TKF, the entrance to Redfish Heaven, aka "The Tunnel", is located here: N 28.687487°, W96.277226°. Just one last helpful nugget for everyone to see.

Tombo

Re: A Goodbye and an Open Invite

Post by Tombo »

Thank you brother.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

I haven't heard that Tom is closing down TKF and can't find the announcement. Where is it located?

In any case, while I'm happy for Tom's retirement, I hate to see TKF go. Like many others, I don't do Facebook, so TKF was and is my only link to the kayak community.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I think Trailchaser on YouTube used that tunnel in one of his videos.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Thanks for all the info you shared over the years and I will text you when I'm in your area. It would be a pleasure to fish with you. :cat:
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Thanks Josh for all your insight through the years. I always hoped I would run into you out there somewhere.
I am working my way through a series of back operations and was hoping to vicariously fish along with y’all while I recuperated. But alas no. But I got your info and may just have to run into you the old fashioned way! :D
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

JW FunGuy wrote:Thanks Josh for all your insight through the years. I always hoped I would run into you out there somewhere.
I am working my way through a series of back operations and was hoping to vicariously fish along with y’all while I recuperated. But alas no. But I got your info and may just have to run into you the old fashioned way! :D
Back pain is no fun sometimes I wish operating was a good option for me lol. Hope you recover soon and can get back out there.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

One of my kayaker friends just had fusion done on lumbars 2, 3, 4 & 5. He asked his surgeon how long before he could kayak again. The doc said:" "Wanna sell me your kayak?" TexasJim
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

TexasJim wrote:One of my kayaker friends just had fusion done on lumbars 2, 3, 4 & 5. He asked his surgeon how long before he could kayak again. The doc said:" "Wanna sell me your kayak?" TexasJim
:horse: Not what I wanted to hear! Except from the little voice in the back of my head saying the same thing. Fusion hadn’t been finalized yet, will know this week. Probably only one level (only one?) L3-L4 . I had one C6-7 probably 40 years ago, but alas a much younger man…

If not anybody looking for a Tarpon 120?

Is there a TSSF? Texas Solo Skiff?
Thanks Jim! Man I’m going to miss you guys!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Try a kayak with a higher seat position such as a Hobie Lynx (45# empty) or a Bluesky 360 with an even higher seat but weighs more.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Tombo wrote:Try a kayak with a higher seat position such as a Hobie Lynx (45# empty) or a Bluesky 360 with an even higher seat but weighs more.
That’s why I’m looking at a Crescent Kayak, plus they are lighter. I’ll have to look at the Lynx. I also still want something for rivers too.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I ordered a Lynx
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I don’t think I can do a peddle drive, I’m too much of a kayaker and love to paddle. I’m also not sure what my lumbar would think.

But! Back to the OP I hope when I do get back in a kayak we can meet up :D
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

JW FunGuy wrote:I don’t think I can do a peddle drive, I’m too much of a kayaker and love to paddle. I’m also not sure what my lumbar would think.

But! Back to the OP I hope when I do get back in a kayak we can meet up :D
JW I realize not all back pain is the same but I have battled lower back pain for years. My back was killing me after a day on the water in a paddle kayak. I went to peddles and my back didn't hurt. It can get sore from sitting for 8 hours but that happens regardless of where I am sitting. Right now I'm back in a paddle kayak and back to a sore back.