Eddyline Kayaks

Kitsune

Eddyline Kayaks

Post by Kitsune »

What are peoples thoughts on these SOT fishing kayaks for shallow water? I am 6’1” at 210 pounds. I know the 12 foot kayak has weight limit of around 275 and the 14ft has a 350 rating. I like the 12ft length… but the weight is pushing it. Anyone had any experience or thoughts on these kayaks??

On a side note.. I am sorry to see TKF maybe coming down? I started on here around 2008 and took a break around 2012. The help I received from people on this board, even taking me out (Tombo), it was a pleasure to learn. I have since taken that and fished a lot of waters and I always come here to see if anything is written about it. Thanks again to everyone…
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Eddyline Kayaks

Post by Ron Mc »

If you're thinking of coast fishing, my guess you'll like the 14' a lot better. When we say fast, we actually mean efficient distance.
Though you'll probably also want a rudder.

50-lbs ABS - you'll really dig that part, but you'll also have to watch oyster, another reason to float shallower.
Think of it as a dreamy, lightweight Tarpon.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

They look awesome. Lightweight is big. +1 on the 14 with a rudder. Biggest down side I see is resale value is not good because they're not cheap (they run more than some peddle drive kayaks by the time you add a rudder) and they don't have a framed seat. A while back I watched a 14' with a rudder in excellent condition sit for over 2 months at $800. I reached out to the seller and he told me he was taking it off the market and keeping it due to so many offers well below what he was asking. Lightweight seems to be getting more popular tho.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I am definitely leaning toward the 14ft but I do not want to put a rudder on it…I’ll be fishing mostly LHL/B&R and the like. They are coming out with a framed seat for the 14ft in 2022 with also some other cool features. I think I have my heart set on it… I will continue in my tarpon until I can get the 2022 model.
Anyone here fish 14ft kayaks without rudders? I want to keep it as simple as possible. I also would consider myself advanced in paddling SOT kayaks. Thanks again!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Up front, people with 14' Tarpon are going to say get the rudder.

I have this beyond racy kevlar Kestrel (39 lbs), and with no chines, you steer it by leaning against thigh straps.
Not for the faint-of-heart - you also keep your balance with the thigh straps.

You can also slide forward and straddle it to fish, which restores your balance.
But you cannot turn around - two legs over one side, and it shoots out from under.

5 kts is nothing, getting to 5 kts is nothing, glide even upwind is infinite.
Best use is fly-fishing fast taxi to wade, also light weight to mothership in a power boat.

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Gru1313 wrote:I am definitely leaning toward the 14ft but I do not want to put a rudder on it…I’ll be fishing mostly LHL/B&R and the like. They are coming out with a framed seat for the 14ft in 2022 with also some other cool features. I think I have my heart set on it… I will continue in my tarpon until I can get the 2022 model.
Anyone here fish 14ft kayaks without rudders? I want to keep it as simple as possible. I also would consider myself advanced in paddling SOT kayaks. Thanks again!
I used to have a Viking Profish 400 which is 13.5' and it did well without a rudder in most cases but as you know when you get in wind 12-15 mph and up that's when a rudder is needed as was the case with that Profish 400. My Viking Profish Reload for sure needs a rudder but it's 14' 9".
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I did see the Native Falcon 11…I like the price, standing up, and weight… I guess it really doesn’t matter if I can’t get a hold of one. Some kayaks are on the selves while others are out of stock forever… anyone know the real reason why?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Gru1313 wrote:I did see the Native Falcon 11…I like the price, standing up, and weight… I guess it really doesn’t matter if I can’t get a hold of one. Some kayaks are on the selves while others are out of stock forever… anyone know the real reason why?
The pandemic has a lot to do with it. Factories shut down while people started buying anything outdoors in frenzy form which triggered a materials demand factories and logistic companies couldn't and still can't keep up with. There's also labor shortages, factory fires, winter weather to blame. Trucking companies are paying record high pay rates and still can't get qualified drivers. If they do the next freight company will offer that driver a $3000 sign on bonus to switch companies and that driver is gone. The labor shortages are real and are not going away anytime soon. If you think waiting a week for a plumber to show up is bad now wait a couple of years.

Patients is key in an impatient world.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

No experience but I drooled over them a lot. Beautiful boats and light. Biggest hurdle was price and almost unattainable. And standing up is sketchy if yo want that.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

SWFinatic wrote:
Gru1313 wrote:I did see the Native Falcon 11…I like the price, standing up, and weight… I guess it really doesn’t matter if I can’t get a hold of one. Some kayaks are on the selves while others are out of stock forever… anyone know the real reason why?
The pandemic has a lot to do with it. Factories shut down while people started buying anything outdoors in frenzy form which triggered a materials demand factories and logistic companies couldn't and still can't keep up with. There's also labor shortages, factory fires, winter weather to blame. Trucking companies are paying record high pay rates and still can't get qualified drivers. If they do the next freight company will offer that driver a $3000 sign on bonus to switch companies and that driver is gone. The labor shortages are real and are not going away anytime soon. If you think waiting a week for a plumber to show up is bad now wait a couple of years.

Patients is key in an impatient world.
Thank you for the reply. Yeah and it looks like kayaks get a back seat to production due to size and shipping… also being made out of plastic?? I will patiently wait and never get rid of my kayak until I have another. I made that mistake two years ago. Sold my Slayer for a great price but couldn’t find another kayak I wanted after that. I have time to decide…
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

JW FunGuy wrote:No experience but I drooled over them a lot. Beautiful boats and light. Biggest hurdle was price and almost unattainable. And standing up is sketchy if yo want that.
They do look good… and I am in place now I can spend the money if it’s worth it. However, I miss standing up… I could stand in my slayer 12 all day… but this tarpon is another story. I can stand, but I’m worried the entire time. I actually could stand in a frenzy better than the tarpon.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Gru1313 wrote:
JW FunGuy wrote:No experience but I drooled over them a lot. Beautiful boats and light. Biggest hurdle was price and almost unattainable. And standing up is sketchy if yo want that.
They do look good… and I am in place now I can spend the money if it’s worth it. However, I miss standing up… I could stand in my slayer 12 all day… but this tarpon is another story. I can stand, but I’m worried the entire time. I actually could stand in a frenzy better than the tarpon.
But have you tried to find one?
I also want to try one and see if it is not only standup able but something you can actually fish out of. If so it would be close to the perfect boat!
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Here's a review of the Falcon 11 from one of our site sponsors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlG6rjMPi1E

From the looks of it I think this does qualify as a standable kayak for many paddlers.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Good luck with your search and purchase.

You did mention not wanting a rudder. You may then just consider a skeg. A proper skeg will keep the yak straight, and there is nothing to fool around with. They stick down below anywhere from four inches to 7 or so.

I've considered 3D printing a "kick-up" skeg for my new inflatable yak.

It looks like you can get a glue-on skeg and receiver on Amazon. Just think about it.

You can easily add it on after your purchase and trial, whenever that might be. regards richg99

https://amazon.com/DSHE-Detachable-Wate ... 265&sr=8-4

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Thanks everyone for the info. I will probably get the native falcon 11 and look at the eddyline and other longer kayaks for BTB. Over the last 15 years or so I have told myself I don’t need to be going offshore in a kayak…. as I get older I am looking more and more into it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

That's the boat that will need a skeg.
You sit so far behind the center of the keel, your torso will act like a mainsail to always windcock when you're trying to go downwind.
You'll need a skeg to lengthen the keel.

This Redfish has the same Native tag-along wheel mount, and I made a bracket to mount the Advanced Elements skeg there.

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

"Over the last 15 years or so I have told myself I don’t need to be going offshore in a kayak".... I have had the same thoughts.

Candidly, I am initially thinking of nothing more than yakking out a bait or two. Even that, it would be Fall/Wintertime when the breezes are out of the North. Little or no wave action to impede my big butt.

We shall see.