Seeking info on where to go flounder fishing or gigging in Rockport this October.

Gigem77

Seeking info on where to go flounder fishing or gigging in Rockport this October.

Post by Gigem77 »

Howdy,
We have planned a fishing trip to Rockport. Haven't been in ages, and would love suggestions of where to go wade fishing for flounder and also kayaking spots for fishing. I'm more familiar with Port A. area, but we wanted to try Rockport this year. Would Copano Bay still be a good area? Any other spots you can think of? Also, what is used these days for lights to carry for night time wade fishing/gigging. Thanks.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Seeking info on where to go flounder fishing or gigging in Rockport this October.

Post by Kayak Kid »

I can't help you with a precise flounder location. I generally had good luck on the bay side of Matagorda Island. Maybe a local tackle shop can guide you to a productive spot that is easily accessible by kayak.

A good flounder light (always worked for me) was a railroad engine light rigged to operate on a 12 volt auto battery (I always carried a charged spare). My light was set up onto a 16 Ft john boat, but a kayak, along with a bit of ingenuity should accomplish the same thing.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Seeking info on where to go flounder fishing or gigging in Rockport this October.

Post by Neumie »

Copano Bay is a viable option. I've gigged at Swan Lake, behind the Airport, and Redfish Point. There are several good spots which are drive up and wade and few more to paddle to. Watch the wind and pick spots which offer the most protection from the wind. Here's a map I whipped up with some spots: Google Map

Admittedly, it's been several years since I've gigging, but those are good spots to try. I use a cheap light I bought at Academy, a deer feeder battery, and a backpack. It's a setup I've used for the past 15 years. There are two good builds for flounder lights; one here on TKF: Link and 2cool: Link.

Be mindful of then new regs for flounder this year: TPWD Flounder Regs
Gigem77

Post by Gigem77 »

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the input. :)
DHardy

Post by DHardy »

For Kayak. Drive over the bridge to Goose Island State Park. There’s a bridge and structures close to a little deeper water called Bartlett pass/Island that hold decent flounder. Also hit some other areas close by. Google earth the location and look for structure, rocks and passes. I live in Corpus and the in-laws live next to the state park. We fish there often and have been successful. Recommend using Z-man 1/5 finesse shroomz jig and Z-man TRD Crawz in greasy prawn color with a dab of ProCure blue crab or shrimp. Work the Ned rig very very slow with lots of pauses. New flounder sizes and regulations to keep in mind. Flounder season closed part of Nov and Dec. TPW checks. Best of luck!