Mason Mountain - what a place to hunt!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Mason Mountain - what a place to hunt!

Post by Prof. Salt »

FIL and I drew a hunt at Mason Mountain for cull deer, and it's a really cool place. The front came in just in time to give us consistent North winds so we could plan locations for popups and how to get in and out of areas. Temps were low and wind speeds were sometimes high but we were hunting, so it was fun. The landscape is very different from home - it's granite. Granite bedrock, granite hills, granite boulders, granite gravel, even granite dirt. Even the cactus were ...oh fine, the cactus were normal, but there was lots of it among the granite. See?

The cactus wasn't granite, but it was rooted in it...

While exploring for the best place to put a popup, I came across some Gemsbock. These things are huge, built like tanks, and boldly colored. Unfortunately they're also very skittish. This one stood still just long enough for a photo and then he was off running through the brush.

The second day I was scouting out a new area for activity during the middle of the day. I saw some dark shapes thorugh the brush and stalked closer with the camera, since they were obviously not white tails.

I wondered why they didn't take off, until I spotted Buster bedded off to the side. He had no clue I was there, so the others stayed around with their daddy.

We got back to the cabin late, but the Milky Way was rising and I wasted no time setting up the tripod while everyone else got a hot meal and showers.

Here's the cabin and the stars. The full size photo is really nice, but Tinypic won't let me put a large one on this site.

I did get a doe. When I walked over to load her in the truck, I realized it was a tiny animal that looked from a distance like a deer, but up close was way too small. I was embarrassed when I took it in to the ranger station, thinking I had committed the sin of shooting a fawn on accident. With one hand I unloaded it and put it on the concrete. They loooked at it and didn't say anything negative. He checked the teeth and said, "yep. Two and a half years old and 55 lbs. That's average.

What? For a Sheltie maybe, but deer are larger animals ...or so I thought. I just finished packing it in the freezer and it made eight quart sized bags of meat. Eight. But you know what? A buck with 130 inches of antler and a tiny body would look awesome! Just put the mount way in the back of the room so poeple don't get to see it close.

Oh well, it should be some really good meat, and I helped with their management program and saw some fantastic property and animals!
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Mason Mountain - what a place to hunt!

Post by Mythman »

Mason County is the number one deer population county in Texas. The deer are like ants............lots of them but very small.

I spend 20 years on a lease in SW Mason county and our limit was 5 deer a year. Use to take 5 under a management program, but after we developed bucks with sizable racks, we sort of got out of the management program. A sizable buck use to be 130-160 lbs.

Early on, it was normal to go to a blind for a morning or evening hunt and see 30 or more deer. Now it not that way, but you can still see 7-12 per hunt.

Lots of leases are high fenced now.

Got to where I was killing one deer a year and not eating all of it..............so I got off and let my son replace me.

Had some good, good times those 20 years.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Mike, it was certainly an adventure and a beautiful place. I heard the bucks were larger, I just never saw one.
artman23

Post by artman23 »

Awesome pics! Congrats.
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

Beautiful pics. I'd love to hunt there someday.