Finally! I got myself a deer

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Finally! I got myself a deer

Post by Prof. Salt »

It seems the folks who own the 100 acres beside us discovered the bounty of deer running around and have begun the erradication process of the brown-haired enemy, and the bodies are piling up. They claim to have shot nine spikes and does, but there have been many more connecting rifle shots during sunlight hours this season (when hogs are not out in the open) just while I've been hunting . I have heard more than a dozen shots connect from their direction, and the deer numbers we are seeing have dwindled to depressing levels. Where we used to see 30 at a time from each stand (the does used to know our place was a refuge and would pile in for the Fall). All those ladies used to really attract the boys too. It would take them three months to breed them all, so we would pass on most deer and hold out for an older nice one for our prize. This year I have only seen one mature buck, outside of bow range. He made a scrape and left.

At Christmas I gave up my normal spot for BIL and his young son, so they could see the eight does that have been eating there every morning. He ended up shooting a really big 10 while it was fighting another large deer 10 yards from the stand. Within an hour he had two more good ones fighting, and another three bucks chasing the hot doe who was wanting some corn. I hunted there in the afternoon and for the next week and saw zero bucks. I decided to shoot a spike if I was offered a shot. Several tried to tempt me, but they were yearlings and they don't have enough meat to make it worth killing them. I finally had a 1.5 yr old make me an offer. I waited until he was facing the open pasture and sent an arrow down his way. I counted 4-5 seconds before he crashed, but the little speedster had already covered nearly 200 yards! He was within view, so I knew where to find him. Still, I went to the scene of the crime and followed the blood trail. It was consistent, and he was piled up behind some brush right where I had lost sight of him. It's not a huge deer, but at least I have some fresh venison in the freezer now. I'm still looking for a big guy, but he better show up soon; there are only two Saturdays left...

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Finally! I got myself a deer

Post by Mythman »

Meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer..............no matter how big the horns or deer is.

Congrats!
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

Good job, professor!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

He's certainly not comparable to the beauty I arrowed last year, but he's meat in the freezer. It appears that our neighbors have ruined the pattern that we enjoyed for years. Hunting might be hard for all of us after their slaughter. Oh well, it's not against the law for them to hunt like idiots; there's not much I can do but hunt hard and hope a lonesome buck walks under my tree on Saturday!
uplandrun

Post by uplandrun »

I count eleven.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

That is awesome hunting! My daughter and I LOVE to cull deer. There is nothing more majestic than a beautiful, healthy herd of the critters. You always impress me Prof and you are my favorite person whose who's whom, er,,..... anyway, I love reading your adventures in hunting, fishing and mahi mahi collecting....
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Sad deal. You see this all the time. You spend years building a heard then the next door neighbors invite and irradiate years of work.
Least u got sum venison. Good job with the bow sir.
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

"I finally had a 1.5 yr old make me an offer"

Why are folks so focused on aging deer at ".5", they are all ".5" of age.
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

"You spend years building a heard then the next door neighbors invite and irradiate years of work.
Least u got sum venison."

?, learning to spell is nice.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

...so I'm wrong for being right? If I had called it a one year old deer you would have said it was actually a 1.5 year old.
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

FishDFly wrote:"You spend years building a heard then the next door neighbors invite and irradiate years of work.
Least u got sum venison."

?, learning to spell is nice.
OOOOOPs! Gotta spell checker here. Ur right tho, sum times my fingers go spastic.

Prof, looks like we both dropped a couple notches. I can't spell and u can't age deer. :lol:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Oh well, I've got meat in the freezer and a small place to hunt. Life is gud. :lol: