Frisco Mule Deer Foundation Chapter

jrowetx322

Frisco Mule Deer Foundation Chapter

Post by jrowetx322 »

Hi, I would love to hear from any Mule Deer Freaks/hunters in the North Texas DFW Area! I have recently started new new chapter of the Mule Deer Foundation and I am looing for help in the Frisco, McKinney, Plano, Sherman, Denton area. I will be trying to get a meeting scheduled in September. If there is anyone that might be interested, please email at: jrowetx@gmail.com and I will gladly mail some information out to you. Here is the link to their site:
http://www.muledeer.org/
The MDF is a great organization and I am excited about the opportunity to help in the conservation of such a great animal! I hope to hear from YOU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrowetx322

Re: Frisco Mule Deer Foundation Chapter

Post by jrowetx322 »

Calling all Mule Deer Freaks! Here is an opportunity you won’t want to miss!

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/ur ... JbzAPXA&e=

October 2018 will mark year four of a five-year mule deer research project looking at the effect of agriculture on mule deer movements, fawn production and survival in the Texas Panhandle. Study areas are in the western Rolling Plains, eastern Canadian River breaks, and southwest Panhandle. TPWD and their partners are radio-collaring adult deer with GPS collars and fawns with lightweight expandable VHF collars annually for two years at each study site. We will be beginning year four of the project this fall with recaptures of previously radio-collared adults to remove collars at the Canadian River breaks study site, capture of new adults to supplement mortalities that occurred in the second year at the southwest Panhandle study site, and capture another cohort of 30 fawns at the southwest Panhandle study site. After year-three, adult mortality is about 20%. Fawn survivorship was over 60% with most mortality occurring in late-winter/spring. Funds for this project were provided by TPWD, USFWS (Pittman-Robertson funds), Texas A&M University-Kingsville, Texas Tech University, Borderlands Research Institute at Sul Ross State University, and the Mule Deer Foundation. This project will provide new and essential information regarding seasonal movements and survivorship of mule deer in the Texas Panhandle in relation to various habitats. Results will also document positive and/or negative impacts of agriculture production on mule deer biology and habitat.

Captures will be from Oct 15-19 starting in Stinnett to pull collars off of adult mule deer to end that study site. We will then move to Levelland to recapture adult mule deer to download collars and put GPS collars (funded by MDF) on fawns around Muleshoe and Yoakum Dunes WMA. Lastly, we will capture adult mule deer to radio-collar around Lubbock to start a new study site because MDF will cover capture costs.

We would love to have anyone interested to come out and help.

If you are interested in being a volunteer during this effort please let me know ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Been seeing a few big monster bucks here in W,Tx that were hit and laying on the side of the road.
If I had to guess one of them weighed close to #300 with antlers almost as big around as my wrist with a spread of 30"+. This is a pic of a smaller one. I'm guessing he weighed around #200. These big bucks are nomads and very elusive. At one time, hunting for big mulies was my passion. I've since learned that these animals only have one shot at life, like all creatures they deserve the utmost respect.
I have to thank my beloved wife for opening my eyes.
This buck was hit 2.5 months ago and was still in velvet.
Attachments
20181012_132331.jpg
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Another one hit in WTX today
Attachments
20190101_154108.jpg