Hearing Protection

SweetJams

Hearing Protection

Post by SweetJams »

I'm an avid kayakfisher and I also do some hunting on the side. My ears have been very sensitive with the gunshot noise and would like to know what you guys use. I wear earmuffs but recently I get some ringing sensation right after every day of hunting. I'm planning to double down with a good custom in-ear filtered earplugs and get a pair from this brand called Big Ear. Anyone here tried their products?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hearing Protection

Post by Ron Mc »

if you put the foam ear plugs in your ears under the muffs, you should eliminate the problem
bones72

Post by bones72 »

I wear muffs now if I am just shooting or doing high volume gunning like dove hunting. Of course these are over some fancy noise canceling hearing aids the VA gave me. (I got my bell rung a few times while deployed). Ron gave some solid advice if you don't have fitted electronic plugs yet as I think plugs molded to your ears are the best option. You're doing the best thing though, taking care of your ears once they are gone they don't come back.
jharry3

Post by jharry3 »

I used to do a lot of USPSA style pistol shooting. Very loud because most people used recoil compensators which channeled some of the mussel blast up and sideways.
I used ear plugs and head phones most of the time.
I still have hearing loss from years of doing this but at least I don't have ringing in my ears all the time like some people I know. Even a .22 will hurt your ears.
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

Here,, hold muh beer. while in the mil, I had to be on the tank and arty tables, did that for 6 years, used plugs, and muffs together. I've lose certain octaves, some people I can't hear standing next to them. The ringing is so loud, it sounds like millions of cicadas to the point I have to take a pill to sleep
USE HEARING PRO!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I work with two guys, one a former artillery VA hearing disability, the 2nd a career in rotating equipment.
When these two get together for a conversation, put in your ear plugs.