Lease Advice

Texan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Lease Advice

Post by Texan »

Invited on a small Hill Country lease in Kendall County. It's a little 18 acre lease that would allow me and the other person year round access. I can bring others on if the partner is not there and vise versa. He's been on it for 2-3 yrs. and the couple years that I know, he's put a couple deer each year in the freezer.

I'm not a big trophy hunter, I want to harvest what is legal and still do my part to manage the population where I'm at by not taking a small buck just because. This place pretty much guarantees deer and the bottom line is they prolly won't be trophy's but good for a little bit of Venison.

At a tad over $500 for me, what do y'all think?

Thank You for your input!
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

$500/year for "18" acres. :shock: I think that's a steep high price for such a "tiny" place.
Texan523

Lease Advice

Post by Texan523 »

I'v hunted the Hill Country on an 33 acre lease. its not bad but if there water hole in the place and your more likely to kill deer and if there not a water hole then you will need to feed more.
blesker
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by blesker »

Night Wing wrote:$500/year for "18" acres. :shock: I think that's a steep high price for such a "tiny" place.

Agreed.

But - if there's water, then perhaps it's not so bad.

That's the biggie - if there's no water though I personally wouldn't be interested in paying that much for such a small place.

b (...hunted Medina area for many years...)
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Depends where the 18 acres are, whether there is water or not. Some 18 acres may be worth $500 and others aren't worth $0.50. Two people on 18 acres doesn't leave a lot of space to hunt. Again, it just depends on the deer traffic on those particular acres.
WATER HOG
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by WATER HOG »

come to my neighborhood shoot all ya can take down , Hell i'll only charge ya $100.00 , now the neighbors might see things different but we can run & hide I counted over 100 last night ridding around the Hood . :shock: Hungry they are :roll:
blesker
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by blesker »

WATER HOG wrote:come to my neighborhood shoot all ya can take down , Hell i'll only charge ya $100.00 , now the neighbors might see things different but we can run & hide I counted over 100 last night ridding around the Hood . :shock: Hungry they are :roll:

The hogs still runnin' nuts up there?

I could ALWAYS count on shooting a hog when I hunted near Medina - it was packed with 'em. Pretty good chance to see axis too - never did get a chance to shoot one though, and have ALWAYS wanted to as I've tasted 'em and man oh MAN they're tasty! :)

b
Lumberhound
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lumberhound »

I pay $500 for year round in kerr county up in comfort. Lots of deer no real trophy's. My opinion is hey if it's a place to get away relax and talk to god it's pricesless. Would you be able to shoot exotic's? I'm sure you should have axis passing through.
Lumberhound
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lumberhound »

i forgot to mention my side is only 75 acres for $500
WATER HOG
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by WATER HOG »

Blesker , lots of Hogs , in fact there were 2 killed in the neighborhood a week ago 2 small ones ran over right in the entrance .
blesker
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by blesker »

WATER HOG wrote:Blesker , lots of Hogs , in fact there were 2 killed in the neighborhood a week ago 2 small ones ran over right in the entrance .

Yeah - typical.

Also - you make a good point about paying $500 to get away and be with friends. :)

Man, I might just have to try to get a lease up that way again soon.

b
bosquebob

to lease or not to lease?

Post by bosquebob »

Hey, if you can afford the 500.00, and not miss it too bad, and you want a place to hunt and to just go out and be away from it all, then go for it. I just paid 1500.00 for a lease here in central texas, and I once told myself that I would never pay to go hunt. :oops: :roll:
Texan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Texan »

Thank you all for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I'm in a position now where I can meet folks that I actually would want to associate with. My previous line of work (2 jobs over 12 years) was not the case, from felons to just general deadbeats. No, I wasn't in prison, just worked in one :lol: !

Where I'm going with this is that generally you have to know someone to get on a lease or that's what it seems to me. I haven't been on a lease and this one seems to check out alright except the price per acre. There's water or what should be on the NE boundary, it's a creek that's dry now. All's fair on the lease, Axis have been seen there but I don't think any have been hunted or taken. Large properties pretty much surround this one and I'm told that there's hunting pressure on the other side of that creek that borders. Agreements are in place to retrieve a kill if it goes outside the fence.

That's pretty much the details on this thing. I've got a week to decide, I have never shopped or compared leases, so this is the reason for me posting.

BTW - Lumberhound, it's between Comfort and Welfare.
BIG_B

Post by BIG_B »

wish i could find a lease for 500 -1500 bucks, in central/hill country...where you looking?
Lumberhound
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lumberhound »

Hey Texan did you decide to take the Lease?? If you did let me know I'llhave you over to our camp for some ice cold ones and I'll lie about what I saw on my morning hunt!!! You should be about 15 min from my place
WATER HOG
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by WATER HOG »

Lumberhound you have 179 days left before you can have a cold one ! :twisted: you man the bet !or promise !
Lumberhound
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lumberhound »

it's o.k. to drink at the deer lease only!!! Don't take that away from me!!!!
WATER HOG
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by WATER HOG »

IM going to tell !! or you can pay ME $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :twisted: I need a new something ? :roll:

ok maby at the lease & coast & river & pool & my House & lake & so on & on :D
WATERLOGGED

Post by WATERLOGGED »

I pay 350 a year for a lease with very little dear but it is a good place to relax and that makes it all worth it.
justletmein

Post by justletmein »

General rule if you can shoot a few across the next few ranches it's not a good deal. :lol:

Seriously though, Texan, do yourself a favor and shop around a little and go look at several ranches before pulling the trigger. 18 acres is not good, in fact IIRC some counties it's not legal to hunt on less than a certain amount of acreage. There's a list I subscribed to last year that would email me a fresh list of ranches for lease twice a week and there was usually a good 50 or so in south texas. I'll see if I can find that info for you.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

Well, Texan, did you make up your mind?
Lagoonfisher
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lagoonfisher »

I am currently looking for a lease in the hill country/ south Texas for around $500.00 to $1000.00, anyone know anyone who might know someone who can help me out? If not where is a good resource to find a lease other than the Hunting Lease section in the chronicle?
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Sometimes the Chamber of Commerce in small town knows which landowners might be leasing their land.
Texan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Texan »

I didn't realize that there was some loose ends on this one. :lol:

I went ahead and did it. Next year I should have better connections for a lease and should be able to move on if I don't like this one. I went out there and looked at the set up, it should hunt a lot bigger than it is since it's pretty well tucked in around big properties. The folks that border know the land owner and are real laid-back with retrieving a kill if need be. We'll give 'er a go and see what happens this year.

Lumberhound, you ain't right man :P ! I'm not sure about this, but with y'all talking about beer here and there and not at the house? Man, how bad of a bet is that? I wouldn't touch that with a 10' pole even if you spotted me 9' :lol: .

I'll holler when I head that way. A cold beer at the camp sounds pretty darn good.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

Good luck to you bro. I guess next time the truck needs work, we can trade out in backstraps :?: :lol: :lol: