YAK and LABS

YAK and LABS

Post by Guest »

OK,

Since I am still yakless. (Have a Pirogue) What kind of Yak best fits loading a Medium Lab into it? Easy in/out? I assume it'll be a slower yak that handles more capacity. I can load my dog into my pirogue, but god forbid she jumps out and tries to do an open water get back in. She is not the "water dog" that most labs are.

fryemup
Mellon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

practicing for the yak

Post by Mellon »

Well, here is Luke practicing for his first yak ride!
At 5 months old, he's still a bit confused as to his role in all this.
And, no, he is NOT spoiled.
Attachments
7.19.03N.jpg

LUKE???

Post by guest »

Is Luke Ghost white? :D
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

Ya'll are tearin' me up
Kokoa- my chocolate female has been gone since 93
damn, I still really miss her...
Mellon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Mellon »

Is ghost a lab color? He really is lily white, tho.
Jack, I had a Vizsla that I had to put to sleep in 92, it still makes me tear up when I see another one.
These dang things sure can get to you...
This is our first Lab and he already has a big ole place our hearts.
Yak-a-lou

Post by Yak-a-lou »

Back to the original question... Have you considered a tandem? I also remember seeing "ladders" for dogs to climb in and out of bigger boats. I wonder if a mini-version would be feasible or neccessary? I fish and hunt from a Walden Scout and have a hard time imagining trying to work a medium sized lab from my cockpit.

I used to hunt with a guy and the method was to hunt from a pirogue that we parked parallel to the bank as close to the bank as we could wiggle and waddle. We'd bring a big bundle of rousseau's (cane) and stick them in the mud in front of us to make a blind. We'd stick our paddles in the mud in front of us to help secure the boat. With a set-up like that stability was no longer an issue. It also allowed us to pick which side of a pot hole we wanted to hunt that morning depending on wind direction. It was kinda crazy sometimes... he weighed about 240 and I weighed about 150 (back then). We would have a bundle of rousseau's that you could barely reach around and 2-3 dozen decoys with us in a 14' pirogue. Only one man could paddle. The other had to sit VERY, VERY still because the water was about 1" from coming in the boat. Stupid but fun and simple.
Mellon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Mellon »

I will be using a Drifter. Wide and stable and room in front of me for the big yellow dog.
As this will be our first season, I will only be going out with real friends that won't mind a rookie dog. We should have it all figured out after a few tries.