Fish of the Week-Topic 11: Crappie

woolleyworm

Re: Fish of the Week-Topic 11: Crappie

Post by woolleyworm »

They've done alot to clean up the areas around the dam, and I'm pretty well prepared for most anything. 8 yrs in the Marine Corps and raising 4 kids..... I've seen enough to no get caught by suprise much, LOL. We go bike riding across the dam quite a bit and I've always eyed the waters around the dam. My plan is to put in at Keohne Park and work my way along the east bank, put in at 7 am and plan on getting out around 6 pm, make it an all day'er. That is unless I limit out in an hour or two like I plan...... Thanks again for the detailed info, this is one of the better forums for sharing info. Here's hoping I have some pics of a full stringer come Thursday !
drtyharry

Post by drtyharry »

The best Crappie fishing I have ever done is at Lake Texanna. Hwy 59 goes over it between Ganado and Edna. Go north of 59 into the "jungle" and you will have a great time. Power boaters may need to go several times to find their way in but kayakers will not have a problem. There is a boat ramp on the right after you go over the bridge coming from Houston. A kayak can go straight across from the ramp into the jungle but that route is too shallow for powerboats. There is a river on each side of the jungle which constantly filters out the water from the jungle keeping it very clear. The biggest large mouth I have caught in the jungle was 7 /2 lbs. The jungle is full of bass,crappie and cats. The is not much fishing pressure except from the locals because it is hard for powerboaters to find out how to get in.
BurnedThumbBum

Post by BurnedThumbBum »

I caught this little feisty guy on a 10 foot diving crankbait retrieved next to an abandoned boat dock on September 4th. Wasn't expecting to catch a Crappie. :)
seacow

Post by seacow »

Crappies are good eatin' fish...nice pictures. You must have a high end camera? :clap:
gyoung
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gyoung »

wow, can't believe this old thread resurfaced, I miss some of the TKF buddies whom posted earlier on this thread (RIP).

Anyway, this is my wife's favorite fish... She hated to eat fish when I married her, but loves crappie and bluegill. I can't add to much to what is already posted, but live worms, minnows and artifical jigs/grubs and small spinnerbaits and inline spinners all worked well for me (stick to low profile lures).
FishOn!

Post by FishOn! »

Last edited by FishOn! on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
FishOn!

Post by FishOn! »

In the top 5 best eating fish for me. Catching them little guys are fun to boot specially with light tackle. Thanks for bringing this up.
Guitlucky

Post by Guitlucky »

Probably a question that might get me in trouble... but any one willing to share some tips on catching crappie in Canyon lake? I seem to have the catfish thing down there, but now that I am more mobile I would like to try crappie fishing out of there. Its pretty local to me and perfect for my typical quick trips.
symtex

Post by symtex »

I wish I had some pictures, but I catch them all the time at Calaveras lake on Black Soldier fly larva I raise. I catch them on the wall in the cracks. People look at me like some weirdo because I keep them. They make great fish tacos.... Im just sayin.
booo52

Post by booo52 »

Bream is very tasty fish !
I like Grilled Sea Bream https://mygreencookbook.com/grilled-sea-bream/
Needs :
1 Sea Bream
0,5 Lemon
1 sprig Rosemary
1 sprig Parsley
1 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
Salt