Looking for Ideas

Yakety_Yak

Looking for Ideas

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Gentlemen, I have a situation where I am looking for ideas. I currently am storing my kayaks on a rack I made a few years back and it looks like this.....

My apologies on the pic coming in sideways. I posted the pic straight and double checked things and somehow it still came in sideways. Back to the kayak rack. This rack is what I have been using for a few years now. I have had up to four kayaks on it and it has held up well. As you have probably noticed, on the bottom is a 2016 Hobie Tandem Island. What I will have in about a week is a new trailer. What I am thinking about doing is to keep the top half of this rack somehow but to make the bottom wide enough to where a trailer with a TI on it will fit under it. I'm pretty sure the rack will need to be redesigned as it will lose it's integrity and break with the way it's currently designed. Any thoughts on how I can go about doing this with the current design or even if I have to change the entire thing up. I am open to ideas. A few things to consider.....

1) I need for the trailer and TI to be on bottom and the Raptor to be on top to save on space
2) However the rack is built, it needs to have something soft for the kayak to sit on so that it won't damage the bottom of the hull. If you notice on the bottom of these kayaks, they are sitting on pool noodles and not directly on the PVC. If your idea involves wood, please throw some ideas out on what I would use to cover the wood. Obviously if the idea is PVC, I can continue to use pool noodles.

Thanks for your time and ideas on this. I am ready to buy the trailer but can't until I have the space.