Medina River

Post by Kayak buddy »

https://youtu.be/LrsPVWhjQm4

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Medina River

Post by Neumie »

Great video and looks like a great stretch from English Crossing Rd. I'll have to give it a shot, I tend to fish the Median upstream from Bandera.
Kayak buddy

Re: RE: Re: Medina River

Post by Kayak buddy »

Neumie wrote:Great video and looks like a great stretch from English Crossing Rd. I'll have to give it a shot, I tend to fish the Median upstream from Bandera.
I fished the north fork of the medina a month or so ago. English crossing you need to get away from the people traffic.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

when it's really beautiful is when the lake is up to Red Bluff Creek.
Have camped many nights at Gene Ruede's place, and caught Many white bass a mile either side.
Also pounded them in the dark when we camped on the gravel bars. Blue is the color fly for night fishing - many on consecutive casts before first light.
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

I paddle past red bluff creek

Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Kayak buddy wrote:I paddle past red bluff creek

That old bridge you found is one I crossed over many times with stringers of white bass.
The bridge was always rickety and a little scary to walk on, and you could always tell when a few planks were replaced that were rotted away and some not so much.
I used to drive up there and the little old lady at the old ranch house would come to the gate and take the $5 bill and then you drove down and across the ravine under the ancient oak trees and parked.
It was like heaven on earth.
Those types of places have disappeared from our local area and never to return. :cry:
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

There are several of those bridges and some longer ones anchored to the cliff face that were made for when the lake was full in order to hike to the main river channel.
Just to give you an idea of the age of that footbridge is I was in my teens and twenties when I walked those bridges, and they were old and looked like the one you found even back then, and I am now 71 so I'd say they are either close to 100 years old, or maybe older.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I think I read somewhere that Medina Lake was dammed in the early 1910's, so the lake's got to be 100 years old.
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

Wow thanks for the history, that's an awesome part of Texas, that skinny water sure is a blast to catch those bass

Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

That area behind the person wading and you can see a stump sticking up is what is left of some ancient cypress trees that the massive flooding of a few decades ago took out.
Also the huge cypress trees around English Crossing where you launched were devestated as well.
I can't help but wonder how you were able to park long enough to launch there at English Crossing without getting run off.
The locals in that area subdivision watch that area like a starving hawk looking for it's next meal. :lol:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Jimbo_47 wrote:
Kayak buddy wrote:I paddle past red bluff creek

That old bridge you found is one I crossed over many times with stringers of white bass.
The bridge was always rickety and a little scary to walk on, and you could always tell when a few planks were replaced that were rotted away and some not so much.
I used to drive up there and the little old lady at the old ranch house would come to the gate and take the $5 bill and then you drove down and across the ravine under the ancient oak trees and parked.
It was like heaven on earth.
Those types of places have disappeared from our local area and never to return. :cry:
That's Ruede's Ranch "To Camp" - the squat bridge along Red Bluff - if you're carrying a rigged fly rod, there's a spot you have to duck-walk.
They allowed camping on their place up to about 8 years ago when a lawsuit over the bridge forced them to close it to the public.
One time I got there so early, I left a $5 bill under a flower pot.
Next time he saw me, Gene accused me of not paying, I lifted the flower pot and showed him, and my word was gold after that.
Gene has caught more stripers than anyone else I know - he uses cut bait on the bottom in that little slough at the creek mouth - right below the bridge - plus we always used to fillet our white bass just up the creek from there.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

You can bet that old catwalk and rickety bridges were a lawyers dream. I'm surprised it wasn't shut down decades ago, but nowadays most of the public see dollar signs, and the lawyers advertise to make sure the greed is instilled in peoples minds of all the riches to follow.
That is why you no longer see the treasures that we all once enjoyed. People just don't want to have to deal with the public and their lawyers anymore, and it's a shame. :x
Kayak buddy

Re: RE: Re: Medina River

Post by Kayak buddy »

Jimbo_47 wrote: I can't help but wonder how you were able to park long enough to launch there at English Crossing without getting run off.
They have a parking spot up from the crossing I used a kayak cart to wheel my kayak to the river. It's a good walk when your tired but not so much when your fresh.

Kayak buddy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Medina River

Post by Kayak buddy »

Kayak buddy wrote:
Jimbo_47 wrote: I can't help but wonder how you were able to park long enough to launch there at English Crossing without getting run off.
They have a parking spot up from the crossing I used a kayak cart to wheel my kayak to the river. It's a good walk when your tired but not so much when your fresh.

Whatever you do dont park on the rocks

Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

Gonna try it again

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
jwhiteCU08

Post by jwhiteCU08 »

I’ve been trying to figure out how to launch there without getting run off too. Are you parking at the green ranch gate, or the little pull off right past the “no parking” signs on the 1283 side of English Crossing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

jwhiteCU08 wrote:I’ve been trying to figure out how to launch there without getting run off too. Are you parking at the green ranch gate, or the little pull off right past the “no parking” signs on the 1283 side of English Crossing?
I park on the north side just past the green gate and haven't had an issue. Of course, I've only been in the early spring and fall and not during the summer crowds.