A few trips this week plus a new kayaking buddy!

imaoldmanyoungsalt

A few trips this week plus a new kayaking buddy!

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

For my 1st trip I headed back to the Brazos below PK last Tuesday. It was a beautiful day, 88 for a high with low humidity, 5-10 mp NE wind to start. That canyon funnels the wind either down river or upriver and the forecast direction will not tell you which it will be until you actually get there and find out. I started out about 0830 am and paddled down river from the hwy 16 put in with the wind in my face. I was glad because while I had the wind against me, I had the current to my advantage which meant I would have the wind pushing me back upstream on my return. Well I paddled down to about the midway point of Garland bend and then turned back upstream around 1 pm. About 20 minutes into the trip back the wind shifted and I paddled the whole way back to the put in with the wind in my face and against the current.....Grrrr! So I arrived back at hwy 16 around 0530 pm completely worn out but I had a blast. As for the fishing, I hooked quite a few fish but for the life of me I couldn't get one in the boat for most of the day. The first 7 fish I stuck came off right at the kayak including one that was 5 or 6 lbs. I finally managed to get the last 4 to hand. All fish were largemouths except one which was about a 15 or 16 inch striper which was also one that I lost. All fish were caught on a chicken on a chain TSL Grasswalker, walking the dog just under the surface except one that I caught on a texas rigged green pumpkin creature bait that I can't remember the name of.(Similar to a Rage space monkey)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

My 2nd trip was on Wednesday and I went back to the small local lake on the LBJ Grasslands that I've been to a couple of times in last few weeks. It was another beautiful day about the same conditions as the day before, only a little less wind. I only managed 4 bass on this trip but only fished about 3 hrs in the morning from 0830-1130. All 4 fish came on the chicken on a chain, TSL Grasswalker again fished in the same manner as on Brazos on Tuesday. Another fun trip and my paddling muscles are starting to get back in rhythm.
ImageImage

Now for the 3rd and best trip this week, I went back to the same small lake on Friday evening after work but I took my 8 yr old grandson this time for his 1st time to ever paddle a kayak. I believe he got the hang of it pretty quick. Looks like I have a paddling buddy for awhile, whatta ya think?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: A few trips this week plus a new kayaking buddy!

Post by Ron Mc »

fantastic photos, and nice boats.
Those seats look really comfortable in them.
also can't ask for better company on a fishing trip.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Excellent report and great pictures to show off your trip! Thanks for sharing.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Nice report! Nice pic’s! And a great job on taking your grandson out!
His parents, his future wife, and most of his friends right now May not think so. But I know we all do! :lol:
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Thanks guys

I really like having a new fishing buddy that's as fresh and eager to go as he is. He'll keep me motivated for sure.

Ron
The cool thing about those stadium seats is they were free donations from the previous owner of our house who had them ordered with the high school name and mascot for use at his sons football games. My sons are all out of high school now so I was able to repurpose them with legs/feet I made by cutting some boat trailer keel rollers in half. They're not as sporty and sleek looking as the ones in most newer kayaks these days but they certainly are more comfy and drier than the old pan style seats I had. And the xtra back support let's me stay in the yak longer. Best mod I've done to them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

if you get some time, take some photos that show how you attached them, and put it on rigging page
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Great report and pictures! The first two trips looked good but the 3rd trip was good medicine! Congrats on getting him in a yak at an early age. He definitely looked comfortable.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

We were just talking the other day about using TSL Grasswalkers in freshwater. Given how good those baits are, I am not surprised they worked so well for you. I will have to remember to try that out when I next fish some freshwater slop (although it is hard not to just stick with a hollow body weedless frog in those situations).
Angler

Post by Angler »

Really enjoyable post. Well done. Congrats on your fishin’ buddy too. The cows pictured struck me as pretty funny. One or two of those pics could be captioned in innumerable ways from the Cow’s perspective.

Thanks for the pics too.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Ron Mc wrote:if you get some time, take some photos that show how you attached them, and put it on rigging page
I've thought a few times about doing that. I'll see if I can get that done this coming week
imaoldmanyoungsalt

shoffer wrote:We were just talking the other day about using TSL Grasswalkers in freshwater. Given how good those baits are, I am not surprised they worked so well for you. I will have to remember to try that out when I next fish some freshwater slop (although it is hard not to just stick with a hollow body weedless frog in those situations).
Man they're my go to bait in freshwater now. So many different ways to fish them. When grass (Hydrilla, Millfoil, etc) is a foot or so under the surface I'll just "walk the dog" and if its matted on top with open pocket I'll just drag it across like you would a frog and then let it drop into the open spots. Or when the fish are feeding out around the edges I'll move out to where the grass drops off and work it like you would a texas rigged worm parallel to the grass edge and just twitch it a few time and let it drop back down working the water column.
On the Brazos, the bass were chasing bait schools up into the shallows and blowing up on them. When I would see a blowup, I would quickly get in range and throw it near and just start walking the dog with it and most of the time I would get bit.
It really is my favorite bait now and they are so durable I don't know how Tobin makes any money on them. I have probably caught 20 or 25 fish on the same bait. Of course freshwater fish aren't quite as toothy as their saltwater cousins.