Epic Dusk Session @ Ladybird Lake (Austin)

MrTexasFreedom

Epic Dusk Session @ Ladybird Lake (Austin)

Post by MrTexasFreedom »

Heading into the first evening after the big full moon on Thursday night (7/19), my son and I put our kayak in at Austin High and headed West. We were trolling down the middle of the lake with a lure we had found among rocks up by Redbud Isle a few weeks earlier. Right at 8:00, things went bonkers like we have never experienced in freshwater. Just west of the Texas Rowing dock, I had a big hit that felt like a snag, but it pulled line even when the kayak was essentially stopped. The battle resulted in me landing my personal best of all freshwater fish, a largemouth bass which I do not know the exact dimensions of because I didn't have a measuring stick or scale. I only have these pics.
IMG_8334.JPG
After releasing that beast, we kept paddling west and before we got to Mopac bridge, which is only a few dozen yards from where we landed the prior bass, we had another hit on that lure. My son fought the largemouth bass to the side of the kayak, but it threw the hook during an arial and we lost it. Looked to be a pretty decent fish, also.

We took a break for about 20 minutes and then just west of the Mopac bridge, again trolling in the middle of the lake, the lure was struck a third time by a bass my son landed. Turned out to be a personal best for him all-water. Sadly, still no measurements. Just these pics.
IMG_8349.JPG

We've returned to the same area twice since Friday and trolled into dusk with the same lure and have not had a single bite.
IMG_8358.JPG
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Epic Dusk Session @ Ladybird Lake (Austin)

Post by shoffer »

Nice report and great pics. Congrats on PB's. Nothing like it.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Congrats on the PB!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

honking bass
bones72

Post by bones72 »

Big honking bass. I bet in the spring before the spawn they would have been well over ten pounds. As they are they look in the eight pound range. Awesome fishing.