Fishing for cats on Possum kingdom lake.

Cudadude

Fishing for cats on Possum kingdom lake.

Post by Cudadude »

Looking for some good advice on fishing PK this weekend. Taking my marine son out kayaking this Friday thru Sunday.we will be staying in the state park, and hoping we can put in right by camp and find a good spot. We will be targeting blues. Any good spots you could point me to would be most helpful, I’ve actually never fished this lake in all the years I’ve kayak fished. Any good bait shop that carry shad, just Incase I can’t net any? Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Yak Dog

Re: Fishing for cats on Possum kingdom lake.

Post by Yak Dog »

My cat rig is simple , 2-3 oz. egg weight with a large circle hook 10/0 , 12”-18” leader , one heavy swivel. Drop it down to the bottom then reel it up about two foot . This leaves the bait towards the bottom drifting in the flow and the weight on top towards the kayak. I use cut shad or perch really what ever bait I catch in the cast net . I like a piece of bait roughly 3-5” long . Nice and bloody is good. Look for sharp bends it the terrain , drop offs if have a depth finder and under water logs, rocks . I’ve never fished the lake there , so I’m not sure I’d this helps. With this set up the line will be tight and you’ll hook up hard when they hit. It also leaves us time to visit and talk with relieve ease. Thank you for your sons service