Viking Reload or Jackson Cuda

shaunybarra

Viking Reload or Jackson Cuda

Post by shaunybarra »

I’m looking at both the Reload or Cuda for bass and inshore fishing. Can anyone provide their recommendations/experiences with these kayaks?
SWFinatic

Re: Viking Reload or Jackson Cuda

Post by SWFinatic »

The Reload will be easier to paddle even if you're looking at the Cuda 14. The Reload will also be easier to sell if that time ever comes.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

The Reload is the nicer paddling of the two kayaks, plus it's lighter. Stability wise, they're going to feel more os less the same because the you sit much lower in the Reload than the Cuda. The high seat is nice, but has a big impact on stability when you're up that high. You're going to want to invest in a good seat for the Reload, so factor that into the cost. The Cuda 14 tracks as if it were closer to 16 feet long, which is nice. From there it's really which kayak as the features you're wanting.

I guess it depends on how often you'll fish either body of water. If it's 50/50 I'd personally go with the Reload because I put a higher value on paddle-ability over built in fishing features (I'm pretty simple with my rigging/outfitting). Both allow for a rudder which i believe is a necessity for fishing.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

If you decide on a Reload you might check with Ryan Ford at Viking Kayaks USA in Rockport. Not too long ago he had a Reload for sale from his rental fleet that was a great price.
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

Reload has my vote , get the box that goes on the back as well it’s really convenient.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Adding my 2c - you're not buying a lot of difference in versatility, but there is a difference in weight and speed, both going to Reload.
As Neumie posted, if you like the sit-up-high, go the other way.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

Not knocking the Reload, I've never paddled one. I can't sit for long periods in kayaks without the seat like the Cuda has. My lower back and butt went numb after about an hour on the water.
In my Cuda 12, high or low position, I can stay on the water 8 hours or so without my back or butt complaining. I'll trade the weight and speed for comfort any day. ...and twice on Sundays...

Kirk B.
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

I know this was for the reload or the cuda, but have you thought about a ocean trident? Better seat than the reload and same speed , versatility.
TarponTime

Post by TarponTime »

Reload hands down. With a butt pad.