I Think I’m Finished...

eyedoc

I Think I’m Finished...

Post by eyedoc »

Ok, so I’ve taken my old Malibu 2XL and done a bunch of mods:

Deck mat, anchor trolley, elevated seat (best thing I could have ever done, by the way), yak attack gear racks, paddle holder, rod holder, Deeper Chirp castable depth finder with modified articulating arm to fit Scotty rod holder, modified yak attack arm for phone (photos and for Deeper app), additional Scotty rod holder, Scotty rear light mount, insulated fish bag, foam fitting for gaspachi hatch to hold stuff in place, 6” dry bag hatch in bow...

I think I’ve kind of maxed out what you can do with a non-pedal, non-angler yak. I considered a console, but where I put the seat puts the gaspachi hatch right between my legs, so it’s a nice flat surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: I Think I’m Finished...

Post by Ron Mc »

looks pretty fishy - still belongs on the Rigging page
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I like it. You've put a lot of thought into it's layout and executed the plan well. Well done. :clap:
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Nice job!
That green Ocean Kayak on your trailer was the same as my first kayak I ever owned. It was a sad day when I sold her! :cry:
eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Ron Mc wrote:looks pretty fishy - still belongs on the Rigging page
Lol...you’re probably right

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Nice work!

That looks like a DPS fish bag. They are good bags but don't hold ice the best. You can add some rigid foam insulation to the inside (and outside if you want) to help with this. I used 1" thick Dow rigid insulation board (had a broken piece at work I was able to pick up at no charge) and covered it with silver tape that ac/heat guys use to seal ductwork. That stuff sticks great and helps keep the fish slime out of the insulation board. The inside pieces for the sidewalls are removable. The inside top piece is attached with velcro so I can take it off and on when cleaning. This really helped.
Attachments
DPS Fish Bag- Inside.jpg
eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

SWFinatic wrote:Nice work!

That looks like a DPS fish bag. They are good bags but don't hold ice the best. You can add some rigid foam insulation to the inside (and outside if you want) to help with this. I used 1" thick Dow rigid insulation board (had a broken piece at work I was able to pick up at no charge) and covered it with silver tape that ac/heat guys use to seal ductwork. That stuff sticks great and helps keep the fish slime out of the insulation board. The inside pieces for the sidewalls are removable. The inside top piece is attached with velcro so I can take it off and on when cleaning. This really helped.
That’s actually a good idea. Plus, it’ll help keep the shape.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

I was wrong...needed a rod holder with an arm for my Deeper Chirp and some kickass decals!

Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Looks great man!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

eyedoc wrote:I was wrong...
LOL, famous last words. I'm really liking the rod holder you've built.
eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Neumie wrote:
eyedoc wrote:I was wrong...
LOL, famous last words. I'm really liking the rod holder you've built.
Famous last words indeed...I decided I want a rudder, so mount made today (it’s not rudder ready) and cabling and drilling tomorrow!

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Nice add. Your seat mod may take a "back seat" to this one. You'll love having a rudder. Being able to steer and maintain a course without using the paddle is wonderful. When paddling for a good distance sometimes I just cock the rudder one direction and paddle from one side to give the opposite arm a rest then switch to the other side and repeat. It's also nice for tweaking your drift without lifting your paddle and keeping your hands free. I won't have another kayak without one.