I need a Stubblefield Lake bridge update

TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

I need a Stubblefield Lake bridge update

Post by TKFStubb »

Has anyone been to the bridge lately to see what has been done in the way of ‘repairs’?
Cityfisher

Re: I need a Stubblefield Lake bridge update

Post by Cityfisher »

Been the last 3 weekends up there. They are working on the bridge still. Making progress but looks like it is slow going. Only place to launch is the very corner of the stubblefield lake next to the camp area (and its been crowded) or from the camp area itself. The road is blocked where the rocks/levy start. Boat ramp on the other side of bridge is no longer there either.
The white bass were running pretty thick a couple of weekends ago. After taking a look at stubblefield and the crowds I've been going to the other side of FM1375 and camping and fishing in the forest (primitive) and fishing the "jungle" below FM 1375. Large mouth bass have been thick up on the shallow grass flats staging to spawn. My buddy and I have caught several over 5 lbs and been broken off by a couple of really big ones. Last weekend I landed a 5.3lbr and the weekend before that a 8.5lb brute!!
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

Hanks for the update!
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Just looking at the Google map pics of that area. Wow, it looks fishy!
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

[*]
imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:Just looking at the Google map pics of that area. Wow, it looks fishy!
It is very cool up in there. The fishing can be hit & miss for me, but honestly, I think it was just a learning curve for that area. This past year I have had more success. The largemouth bass seem to always be following the schools of bait around in the river. Find the bait and you'll usually find the bass schooling just devouring them up. Either that or find them on deep ledges.
3 weekends ago I was sitting quietly all alone and heard a huge splashing behind me that scared the you know what out of me. Turned and looked and it was 2 river otters playing chase with each other. Either that or they were getting frisky! lol
I continued to fish and paddle around and they followed me wherever I went for over an hour. One time jumping up on the bank and chased each other some more before diving back in. Then poof, just disappeared into thin air. I tried 3 different times to get a photo but they were extremely fast, especially swimming. Coolest thing I ever saw in my life!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I was there last weekend. First, my brother and I hit the 1375 bridge. Next, we went to Stubblefield. We went to the side where the boat launch used to be, lol. I was unaware of the bridge construction situation until I got there. However, we found a path to the right of the construction. We wheeled the yaks down the path. In a short time, there is a place you can drop in that is to the side. At this point, you can paddle out and into the open water. That is how we did it.

We were the only yakers out there on Good Friday from what I could see. The fishing wasn't any good on this day so we left in a very short period of time. It was a beautiful day though.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Yakety_Yak wrote:I was there last weekend. First, my brother and I hit the 1375 bridge. Next, we went to Stubblefield. We went to the side where the boat launch used to be, lol. I was unaware of the bridge construction situation until I got there. However, we found a path to the right of the construction. We wheeled the yaks down the path. In a short time, there is a place you can drop in that is to the side. At this point, you can paddle out and into the open water. That is how we did it.

We were the only yakers out there on Good Friday from what I could see. The fishing wasn't any good on this day so we left in a very short period of time. It was a beautiful day though.
Glad you guys got to get up there. I am surprised there wasn't many yakers out there over Easter weekend. The camp sites usually fill completely up over the Easter weekends the last few years I've been. That's when I head out to an isolated primitive place off of the forest road somewhere to camp.
Fishing there can be a barren wasteland on the main river for me most of the time. Last time I was there just about everyone I met had a stringer of white bass and I only caught one. I ended up going up river into the lily pads and threw a top water rapala minnow over the vegetation to any open holes that were there and snagged 4 large mouths that way. The vegetation was so thick though once you hooked one you really had to yank him good and drag him over the top of all the
grass and lily pads!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Cityfisher wrote:
Yakety_Yak wrote:I was there last weekend. First, my brother and I hit the 1375 bridge. Next, we went to Stubblefield. We went to the side where the boat launch used to be, lol. I was unaware of the bridge construction situation until I got there. However, we found a path to the right of the construction. We wheeled the yaks down the path. In a short time, there is a place you can drop in that is to the side. At this point, you can paddle out and into the open water. That is how we did it.

Glad you guys got to get up there. I am surprised there wasn't many yakers out there over Easter weekend. The camp sites usually fill completely up over the Easter weekends the last few years I've been. That's when I head out to an isolated primitive place off of the forest road somewhere to camp.
Fishing there can be a barren wasteland on the main river for me most of the time. Last time I was there just about everyone I met had a stringer of white bass and I only caught one. I ended up going up river into the lily pads and threw a top water rapala minnow over the vegetation to any open holes that were there and snagged 4 large mouths that way. The vegetation was so thick though once you hooked one you really had to yank him good and drag him over the top of all the
grass and lily pads!

Still waiting for the invite? lol Glad to hear you got into some LMB.
Arlo

Post by Arlo »

Yakety_Yak
Spoke with Folks at the Bridge. They said 1st week in June is the plan.
They are also going to build a concrete boat boat ramp where the old Dirt Launch was
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great news and info! Thanks!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Arlo wrote:Yakety_Yak
Spoke with Folks at the Bridge. They said 1st week in June is the plan.
They are also going to build a concrete boat boat ramp where the old Dirt Launch was

That would be pretty cool if they did build a concrete boat launch there. Here's to hoping! :)

Oh, I almost forgot to mention something. While my brother and I were there on Good Friday I ran across a guy that was hiking during the holidays recreationally. He drove down from Dallas and didn't realize the bridge was under construction. This sort of messed up his plans of the path he planned to take. His trip was a multi day trip with primitive camping. He was at the bridge trying to figure out how to cross it so that he could continue his journey. I decided that maybe I could be of assistance. I asked him if he wanted a ride. He agreed and so he sat on the front end of my kayak while I held his backpack. I mirage drove across the water to the other side and prayed that we didn't fall in, lol. The water was still VERY cold!

Long story short, we made it safely and the guy continued his weekend plans. I'm glad I was able to help him and I was happy to see the Hobie Outback held up like a beast. What an amazing kayak the Outback is!!