https://youtu.be/FXDM0LXEfFA

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Re: XL large bass popper

Post by larry long shadows »

ain't a way in the world I could throw that fly.. I don't have a rod that big.. would love to see a video of a bass caught on that fly..
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

I tied a small and medium version for my self and posted a video of the action. Those double barrel heads draw alot of strikes. This guy contacts me who fishes for bass with a 10wt and told me he couldn't tie flies because he didn't see well. He fought in Vietnam and I'm a vet so hes gonna reimburse me cost of the materials..
Heres the other ones. They sell these heads at bass pro and orvisImageImage

don.owen

Post by don.owen »

Many years ago maybe late 50's my dad did a lot of popper fishing at Clear Lake in California. I got to row the boat for him and his friend but on occasion fish too. Anyway, what this other old guy said one day while watching my dad struggle with a really large balsa popper popped into my mind while reading this thread. He said something to the point that the only way to fish a really BIG popper was to cut it off and tie on a smaller one. My dad used a lot of size 4-8 poppers, sparsely dressed. Once the feathers were wet they fished like dry flys, and those two guys caught many big bass, big perch and once even a 4+ lb Crappie.
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

This guy ordered those from me, he bass fishes with a 10wt. I fish with a 6wt, and use them in a medium size w/ articulation hook to not snag on rocks during very low flows.

Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

This guy ordered those from me, he bass fishes with a 10wt. I fish with a 6wt, and use them in a medium size w/ articulation hook to not snag on rocks during very low flows.

don.owen

Post by don.owen »

I use poppers up here in Idaho on occasion. We've got a healthy population of Smallies in my local lake. In late June-July they eat-em-up early and late. Sometimes it comes down to whose the fastest the trout or the bass. I rarely fish anything then bigger then a size 4, little fingernail size. Easy to just scull along with one hand on the paddle the other casting. Relaxing fishing.

I have used really big poppers for tarpon, roosters and mahi. You know you've been casting all day when you use big, wind resistant stuff. I usually paid for it that night