Maxcatch

NativeSon

Maxcatch

Post by NativeSon »

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on Maxcatch fiberglass fly rods, Chinese made?
Or for that matter, any of their fly fishing products?
Cheap prices, but quality to match?
Bayoutalker

Re: Maxcatch

Post by Bayoutalker »

I have a couple 2wt combos I bought from Amazon. The rods are fine but the drags on the reels are jumpy and not smooth. Of course on a 2wt drag is not necessary. The lines work well and are matched pretty well.

Cliff
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

maybe search it on FFR? there are 5 threads devoted to the brand
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/s ... mit=Search

Reading through the threads, seems the topics get quickly diverted to other new rod choices - twice to Orvis Superfine.
Found @karstopo with a recommendation - maybe he'll chime in with his experience.

I've been collecting glass rods so long, the only new one I've bought was the CGR 7/8
(not counting just a few very nice Japanese rods a dozen years ago)

If you check the FFR Classic Reels page, there are also threads on new click-pawl reels, LL Bean, BPS.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I have the 8’ 5 weight. Here’s a photo of the rod next to my 8/9 weight Short Stix and 7/8 weight CGR. Notice how large in diameter the 5 weight is?

It’s a strange rod and touchy (for me anyway) to cast. I’ve got too many rods and never get the Maxcatch into action and Nativeson, your welcome to have it if you like. If you are ever in Lake Jackson you can come and get it. I could also ship it, but it might be a while before I get around to that.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Karst,
That is a very kind offer, thank you so much.
Like you, I have more rods than I know what to do with, including fiberglass (all CGRs).
I just happened to come across Maxcatch on ebay, and was curious.
That is odd about the large diameter.
Perhaps someone else just starting out in fly fishing could benefit from the rod?
Thanks everyone for chiming in.
Jerry
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

I've never owned a Loomis, but have heard very good things about them.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Those G. Loomis Short Stix are 7'6" and very fast, some might say they are more like a broom handle. I don't see them that way, I have the 7/8 and 8/9 weights. They swing incredible light, more like a 9' 5 weight, and can really punch through the wind, and have a surprisingly supple tip. They were developed with East Coast Striper and false Albacore fishing in mind, but they are good for our redfish. I've used the 8/9 much more than the 7/8, but have made it a point to use the 7/8 more this year.

I almost always have had the 8/9 weight with me on the kayak and it has been my go to boat rod. I've caught a 30 plus pound Black Drum with that rod and also a nice jack crevealle that took out well over 100 yards of line and backing, plus redfish, trout, gafftop, sharks. The rod has plenty of butt to handle and turn bigger fish and plenty of casting power to throw some decent sized patterns out a ways. I've been on boat cruises for hours with that rod where I've had to match my buddy with his baitcasting gear on casting distance to get to the fish and the rod can pretty much hold its own. The light swing weight really helps to tamp down the fatigue. I even use it in the surf at times when I wade, although its not ideal for deeper wading.

9' rods get in the way in the kayak, especially when you are like me and take 3 along. anything 8' and under can fit within the kayak and I don't worry about a rod tip contacting the grass or getting hung up fighting a fish. I stand to fish out of my commander and a 7'6" rod is plenty long enough to clear the water on the back cast. I don't do a lot of on the water mends in the saltwater where a longer rod might be helpful and aerial mends can be pulled off with a short rod. Short rods are good in the fight and good when landing fish and have the potential for great accuracy. There's a lot of folks that must have a nine foot rod and that's fine, but those longer rods mostly don't fit as well as the shorter ones on how and where I fish, although I do use my 9' 8 weight BVK and 7 Weight Gary Borger Pro once in a while if I plan on doing some wade fishing.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Great information, thank you.
Sounds like your Loomises are very versatile.
Perhaps what has kept me away from Loomis is the price point. The most I've ever paid for a fly rod is a little over $300. I own several Sages, but obtained on clearance. However, if I had bought fewer rods over the years, I could more easily justify higher end rods!
Interesting your comment on sharks. I have thought of trying to target surf sharks on the fly. The word on the street is larger, red colored flies. Do you happen to remember what you took them on?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The only time I really got into some sharks was out in the surf, but along a section that’s hard to get to without a boat. The water was about 3-4’ clear and the sharks covered a bar that ran 2-3 feet deep. There were lots of sharks cruising and darting around up to about 4-5’ in length. We were in the boat and elevated a bit so it was easy to see them and the bar had only a little breaking waves in select spots. We were really after trout and redfish and I didn’t have anything heavier than I think 15-20# fluorocarbon with me. I landed 2 approximately 30-36” inch ones and lost a couple more after brief hook ups. One of the two I got was foul hooked in the pectoral fin where it hits the torso. I was using white and silver wired sliders, which are really redfish crack minus the EP and wrapped with eyelash yarn instead. I used Steve Farrar Blend on the tail. Mine were weighted with small brass dumbbells. My buddy caught a couple on silver spoons and lost a couple more. I think he had a shark blow up or two on a topwater, too. There were also trout and redfish around and that’s why we stuck around and put up with the sharks.

I have seen sharks in the surf while wading and have hooked up on them on flies only by accident really a couple of times, but have yet to land one, at least I don’t remember landing one, while wading and using fly gear. Usually, I lose my fly pretty quickly. Bluefish and Spanish mackerel will also steal flies in the surf, but they don’t feel heavy like a shark will. I have landed a couple wading in the surf on topwater lures using 30# fluorocarbon. Sharks will absolutely crush a skitter-walk.

The most consistent shark surf I know about and that is an easy drive up spot is about the last mile of surf on Bryan Beach leading up to the Mouth of the Brazos. I’m not sure why sharks hang out there other than maybe stuff coming out of the river. I’ve seen them at Surfside too.

Catch all you want. I’m not a fan of fishing for sharks. My kids like to catch them and we soak cut mullet in the Bryan beach surf and catch plenty of mostly smallish ones.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Appreciate all the info.
I got thinking about it after reading how W. Coast flyfishers are targeting Leopard Sharks in the surf.
I have caught my fair share of small sharks soaking bait in the surf. Sometimes they put up a fair fight.
Back in the day, at Surfside, we used to grill them fresh on the beach. Pretty good actually.
But, never on the fly.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I think sharks are something people could target with fly gear around here more. We have lots of sharks for sure. I think just about anything is game for fly fishing. People have figured out how to get carp to play with flies.

One thing I don’t like to do is put on bite tippet, especially wire. Find a supple, thin, easy to use wire and that would help. That nickel titanium knot-able wire I find to be no fun to use. One thing I thought about trying was to put a layer of UV cure around the terminal end of the tippet, as a sort of bite shield, but I haven’t put it into practice. Maybe a little layer of thin UV cure around the last few inches of the end of the tippet would survive long enough to reliably get a shark to hand. Someone could even use the UV glue to put some fibers around the tippet and extend the fly forward adding even more protection from being bitten through.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Those are good ideas.
I picked up some toothy critter wire type leaders some time ago, can't remember the brand.
They are buried on my tying desk somewhere, need to dig them out.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Karst,
I am remembering correctly you also have a TFO MiniMag?
If so, how would you rate it compared to the Loomis SS?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The 8/9 weight Loomis feels a lot lighter and is a lot faster just going off memory. When I first got the Loomis, I remember being impressed on how easily it shot out line as compared to the Minimag. The 7/8 weight Loomis Short Stix feels like a twig, a 4 or 5 weight. I plan on using that one a lot more this year.

I haven’t cast the 6-8 weight minimag in a long time. I wonder how it would feel now, I’ve done a lot of casting since I set down the minimag. The handle is pretty much destroyed on the Minimag.

Obviously, I’ve got too many rods. I swear I won’t get anymore, unless someone gives me one for Christmas or a birthday. That’s mostly how the collection continues to grow.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Thanks again.
Sounds like the Short Stix is a winner.
Sierra Trading Post has the MiniMag on clearance.
Yes, there are so many cool rods out there now, it's hard not to want to try them all.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Looks like they only have the 8-10 weight minimag. The minimag is part fiberglass and part carbon.
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

If you want an inexpensive decent glass rod Bad Ass Glass Quickshot, Riverglass by Echo, also Fenwick rods are good but the hardware is not as good as others. Or you could buy vintage

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

I got a cool vintage flyrod with an automatic reel, it's a Wright & Mcgill 7'6" Dandy fiberglass fly rod and a Heddon Automatic fly reel. I'm gonna try to fish with as is only replacing the line.
https://youtu.be/-iTyMKMFb20[img]https: ... b32785.jpg[/img]
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Glass can definitely be fun.
Slower casting closer to my style.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I’ve only had experience with three glass rods, if you lump my different weight CGRs into one basic rod. The three are all very different. I’ve come to realize that the CGRs are line dependent. I got a Wulff triangle taper and put it on the 7/8 weight CGR. It is very difficult for me to cast that line well with that rod. A SA Titan taper casts beautifully with the same rod. Different line taper, different results. The Wulff line casts fine with the 7/8 weight Short Stix.

The CGRs in general are touchy and can easily be overpowered with the wrong stroke and the cast and loops go to pieces. But, with the right line and the right application and timing of power, they have been a joy to cast and fish.

The echo BAG Quickshot 9 weight is a beast. I’m not sure I could overpower this rod if I wanted to. It seems like a very efficient spring lever. I definitely realize it’s not carbon because it isn’t light. I can’t imagine what the 9’ version feels like. The 9 weight Quickshot feels like the most powerful rod I own. It seems like the line zips out with a minimal amount of effort. I haven’t cast my 10 weight TFO fly rod chronicles rod in a long time, but the Quickshot feels more substantial working off memory. I’m looking forward to fishing this Quickshot a lot this year. Mostly Working through some honey Dos at the moment, but once I get those behind me, I’m going fishing.

The maxcatch I haven’t quite gotten what it’s all about. Maybe with unlimited time to play around, I’ll get to working on that.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Never heard of the Echo BAG before.
Looked in up on Echo's website.
Definitely intrigued.
Not to belabor things, but Karst, how would you compare it with the Loomis SS?
I think I would lean toward an 8 wt Echo BAG Quickshot.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The SS is so very light, the 8/9 weight. The 7/8 weight SS I have feels like a twig. I’ve fished the 8/9 a lot and it is enjoyable to cast and fish. The Echo 9 weight BAG feels more like a club, but I like that feeling. I like glass in a kayak. I don’t know how many times a fish has powered under my kayak. Glass just bends so well. That’s one reason I like glass. I like the SS in the wind. I have a hard time with my CGRs in the wind. I feel like the Quickshot will be good in the wind. I think I need more actual fishing time to really give a good evaluation.
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

Thank you again.
Always good to get info from someone who has actually used the rods.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Got out in the wind this afternoon. Used only the BAG Quickshot and a borski slider. Brought along the SS 8/9, but never felt the need to get it into action. The Echo rod has no trouble in the wind. More like a good graphite rod, only heavier. Had about 85 feet of line out at one point without even doing anything special. The BAG has plenty of reserve power. I’d like to see what the BAG Quickshot 7 or 8 weight is like.