Redfish: learning why it's tough from a kayak

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Redfish: learning why it's tough from a kayak

Post by Prof. Salt »

I have buddies who are "normal sized" and can stand while drifting across flats to spot fish and cast to them. As a big guy, I am forced to stay seated and be as stealthy as possible as I scoot through the shallows looking for signs of redfish. Recently on a solo outing I made it happen and it was more rewarding than I had anticipated. I guess after a hundred mud boils where the fish saw me before I could see them, it would naturally feel pretty good to hook them on the fly. The first red was 28" and the second 25.5". The sight of a big bronze back above the waterline cruising toward me in hunt mode was really cool. Presenting a big Clouser and having him eat it was even cooler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWsPh5L6PM8
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Redfish: learning why it's tough from a kayak

Post by karstopo »

Nice going. I like hunting redfish as much as any sort of fishing. I'll also structure fish with fly tackle, but sight fishing shallow water redfish with a fly rod is about the most fun I have fishing and more fun than it was with conventional gear. Something about the sight stalk, cast, eat, set, fight sequence with a fly rod way tops the same sequence with conventional tackle. My first fly rod sight cast slot red, to hand anyway, went 28" and 9.5# on the Boga and came on a chartreuse clouser. Took me a long time to top that fish.

I like to fish standing and it becomes painful if I sit for too long in a kayak, but the Commander kayak with its hull design really makes it a super stable standup stalking and casting platform. Being elevated really helps to spot fish well away from the kayak and then plan the ambush. It's too bad WS stopped producing the Commander. The Jackson Kilroy looks intriguing as a similar type design.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

When you think there are fish around get out and wade. You will be surprised how close you can stalk up on a red fish.

There is a lot of skinny water with hard bottom in the AP, PA area.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Most of the time, as long as your wading and casting motions are controlled and stealthy, a redfish will take you for just another heron.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Nice on the fly Prof! Enjoyed the video as always! Thanks for sharing!!! :clap:
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I never had much trouble catching reds from my kayak. And, I aways kept my butt in the chair In doing so (never trusted my balance well enough to stand In my yak).

No secret on my part. I learned so much from fishing with Slowride about how to spot reds simply by observing surface actions. I can truly blame him for much of my kayak fly fishing success.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Yeah I'm new to this, so my troubles may not be shared by the experienced guys. It should get easier as I figure things out, but I am really enjoying learning to catch these fish on my own by trial and error. If I bring home one or two fish and learn how to do better next time, it's a successful trip.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Plenty of troubles here, experience or not. Troubles are part of the fun. Uncooperative fish, missed casts, faux pas. Who would like to fish if the outcome was all but certain every time?