I started with basic Clousers, then moved to a long shank hook to make them in bend-back style. This proved completely weedless and gave me a good hookup ratio with the redfish.
Then I started making them in small shrimpy colors so I could cast them on my 2 weight. The reds approved of that too.
Next I found some wide gap hooks like bass fishermen use, and tied some minnows on that style of hook. They catch reds too, and I think they'd work on trout as well but I haven't located the trout yet.
My latest tie has been developing a crab pattern. I wanted to come up with my own take on the crab, so I avoided looking at videos on how to make them and just set out to figure out how to make it happen. After half a dozen failures, I came up with a pattern that moves pretty well in the water and looks like a little crab. I can't wait to recover enough to stick these in front of a few fish.
So recovering from a spine fusion isn't all bad. I have learned how to tie flies that work for me, and it's a nice way to pass the time. Catching fish on a lure you make yourself is more satisfying than I thought it would be.