Fly tying vises.....

Fishing Elvis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Fly tying vises.....

Post by Fishing Elvis »

Ok ok.....i know there has been a lot of discussion on the fly fishing stuff lately, and I saw the post about the new forum, but saw it wasn't up yet so I figured I'd bring it to the salt board. I have tied a few flies mostly clousers, and I have experimented with a few others. I am wanting to get more involed and more in depth with it now. So my question is.....What would be the the best vise to buy that is fairly cheap(preferably less than $100 if possible)? I would like to be able to take it along with me if I travel somewhere and have some time to kill. Also, what types of tools should be purchased? Can anyone recomend a place to get these items. I'm in San Marcos this weekend and was thinking about heading down to Gruene Outfitters to snoop around. All of the stuff I tied the few flies with before was some cheap $30 kit from Wally World so I am looking to upgrade.
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

I've heard good things about the Dan-Vise, but I haven't used one. It's a true rotary vise made with composites and can be purchased for around $80. I've also looked at the Renzetti Traveler and at $135 it is a really nice rotary vise. The design of the Traveler is much like the more expensive Renzetti vices, but it is made with less expensive materials (aluminum instead of stainless steel).
snookdude
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: RGV-Edinburg, TX. Puro Pinche Bobcats! Now in Pearland TX. Home of the fighting pears.

Post by snookdude »

When you go to Gruene Outfitters talk to Ray Box he is the owner. He can help you out. Have fun in S.M.
fish-o-matic

Tiffany

Post by fish-o-matic »

Also, when you go to Gruene River Outfitters please tell Tiffany (the beautiful blonde fly fishing goddess behind the counter) That I love her......

Had to get that off my chest.....

DC
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

I have the Dan Vise and it has been a very good vise for the limited tying I have done with it. It was highly recommended for a intermediate vise and I like it very much. I am getting into alot more tying now and I can not fault the vise at all.
Barry talks very highly of the Peak vise. It looks to be a very nice vise and the reviews on it are very favorable in comparing it to $200 vises while it costs $129. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/peakvise.html

fishin'
Attachments
dan vise.jpg
Last edited by fishin' on Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Renzetti Traveler, Gruene should have it. It will last you a lifetime.
Top Water

Post by Top Water »

Any thoughts on the Barracuda or the new Barracuda trekker?
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

That beauiful tall blonde fishing goddess sold me my Dyna-King Kingfisher. It sells for $110 but I bought the demo for 30-35% off. It is a very nice vise also and is a true 360 degree rotary too. The Renzitti's are hard to beat but the Dyna-King is a very close second in my opinion.
kirbyt

Post by kirbyt »

Lots of options but depends on how you want to shop. Couple of years ago Flyfisherman magazine did a comparison test. Dan Vise came out top for units less than $100. A friend has one and does wonderful flies. Can find at Orvis, Cabelas, web site, or perhaps your local shop.

If you can find one of the Regal look-a-likes that rotate these are wonderful units for larger flies and cost about $50 (Bass Pro used to have these in the stores). These do well too if you are using small trout hooks or tiny pan fish flies.

DynaKing vises really hold the hook well in most cases and if they rotate you cannot have need for more vise.

I have several but the latest is the Renzetti Presentation unit in the ridiculous price range. :wink:
Fishing Elvis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Fishing Elvis »

So far I'm leaning towards the Danvise. After doing some research it seems like there are a lot of folks out there that like it and the price is right. I can spend the rest of the money on some materials and tools.

Can anyone recomend some tools to buy? Should I buy quality tools? Are they worth the extra $?

I was looking at Cabela's and they have a combo with a tying station, tools and the Danvise. Would a tying station be worth the extra money? It doesn't say anything about the tools except they come with the package. It looks like a good start to keep things a little more organized. As you can tell I have a hard time making a purchase. I like to know exactly what I am getting for my money and usually take more time than needed to do some research. Thanks for the replies as always everyone is very helpful.

Here is the Cabela'a link
Last edited by Fishing Elvis on Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLYYAK

vse

Post by FLYYAK »

THE DANVISE :!: 8) 8) 8) :D
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

For 100 beans either the Danvise or the Regal Innex are good choices.As to tool's.Get a good bobbin with a ceramic tube.You can get started with one but will soon want a few for convenience.Good scissors are important too.Id suggest one for coarse ruff work/materials and another for fine cutting.Hackle pliers and a combination bobbin threader/bodkin are all you'll also need for most work.But,id suggest getting a Matarelli whip finnisher,dubbing twister and hair stacker as well.Here's a link which should help on the vise-http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index17.html Good luck!
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Try ebay for a good deal on whatever vise you choose.Theres usually a few of the Danvise's up for grabs brand new.Hunters is an excellent source for tools and materials.For salt flys,Bob Popovics book Popfleyes or some spelling like that is great.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I'd suggest you look at Cabela's site. There are a number of vises you can see and compare. I got my Regal there years ago and am content with it.

I have to agree that getting better quality up front can save grief later. Non-ceramic bobbins used for wire, braided rope and the likes can make the tube rough. Rough openings tend to fray or cut thread.

It's best to fondle tools if you can, before buying them. For years I used scissors with small finger holes. I was always setting them down and picking them up. Look for a pair with larger holes. You will learn to slide them back, resting on the back of your hand and out of the way, leaving your fingers free to do what ever. If you buy only one pair, use it wisely. Cut only thread or delicate material with the point. Use the point for precision cuts. Cut hair and more course material deeper in the crotch of the scissors.

I read on this site or one similar:

Give a man a fish; he'll eat for a day.
Teach him to fish; he'll eat for a lifetime.
Teach him to fly fish; he'll spend enough to feed a small third
world country: and release most of the fish he catches.

Welcome to the addiction.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Indian made knock off of a REGAL

Post by Kayak Kid »

I use a dan and have no problem with it. However, my reserch indicated that the regal is the ultimate. Too expensive, however, for my meager talents so I settled on a knock off that I purchased at Bass Pro for 80 dollars. I really love it!!!
RKevinB

BPS

Post by RKevinB »

Bass Proi Shops has a real nice kit including a video with Lefty Kreh. That's how I got my start. It came with a standard vise, but I have since upgraded to a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler. I love the rotary vise.
kirbyt

Choices, choices

Post by kirbyt »

Couple of hints...

Annual fly tying day are going to be February 7th, a Saturday in Houston. I'll post the exact location later.

Check your local FFF clubs. Montgomery County Flyrodders meets once a month and also does a monthly tying night. We meet in The Woodlands area.

Introductory kits are okay but recommend to put your hands on them first or at least talk to a store to compare buying individual items. Need the following basic tools: Bobbin (holds the thread), bodkin (make your own), sissors (comfortable). You will need head cement (clear nail polish) and a super glue are used for many flies. But the list never stops!

Remember to tie for enjoyment and pride of doing it yourself. It is rare to ever say it is cheaper than just buying once you get the tying bug!
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

If you get a Renzetti be sure to get one of the newer models. They just started put a cam lever on the jaws. It is much easier to lock a hook in place with the cam vs their old style with the thumb screws. There are still quite a few of the thumb screw models on the shelves at our local stores. Also, spend a few dollars more and get a true rotary vise. I was told when I started out that it wasn't something I needed. I bought one that wasn't rotary and quickly found out that a rotary would make life much easier.

Here's another tip for everyone. When they try to sell you a bodkin threader don't buy it. I just use a dental floss threader. They sell whole packs of them very cheap at your local drugstore.
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

Let's go, are the dental floss threaders plastic? I always thought the metal bobin threaders were a bad idea.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

The ones I have are bright blue plastic. I think I got a couple dozen for a $. I also didn't like the idea of a metal threader going through a bobin. BTW, Use the extra money you save on ceramic bobins.
popasan

Post by popasan »

i tied on the Peak vise for the first time saturday evening during the AP shindig......i really liked it, well made and holds the hook rock solid.....for about 120 bucks a very good buy.......

of course setting right next to it was a Dyna King Barracuda with all the bells and whistles..........about triple the price of the Peak , but a real top of the line vise..... :)

Larry
landlocked

Post by landlocked »

I have been tying on an HMH spartan for about two years now. It has interchangeable jaws but I have been comfortable with everything from 2/0 up to sz. 18 and 20 dry fly hooks. It is a very simple yet very functional vise. As for tying, I had mine in my lap tying the whole way down to AP this last weekend. I have the pedastal and am comfortable with it everywhere. The feature I like the most is the ability to change the head angles allowing access to the bend of the hook without needing to readjust it. I think it was around $150.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

I have a Renzetti Traveler I love, but I picked up a used Regal last year (I don't know, something just came over me) that is a dandy. I have designated as my Bob and Bing vise (On the Road, for the younger out there). I can vouch for either, or and both.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

The thing I love about my Dyna-King Kingfisher is the cam locking dual grooved jaws!!! It has 2 grooves cut in the jaws. One is for small hooks and the other for larger hooks. I can tie a perch bug using the smaller forward cut and then tie a saltwater fly in th eback groove without adjusting the jaws at all. And those grooves hold the hook rock solid!!!! And it is a full rotary vise too!

I really like this vise. At $110 this a pretty nice vise. At the $75 I paid for my demo model from Gruene Outfitters, this is the best darn vise ever!!!! LOL!!!!
Top Water

Post by Top Water »

Hey GC I'm looking at the Dyna-King Trekker. I went to Grune the other day ( I love that store) and fell in love with the one they had on display. I should of picked it up when I was there but I listened to the wrong angle on my shoulder. :roll: Well I just might have to make another trip down there. DARN!!!:wink:

TW