Fly tying vises.....

M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

I'm a Dyna-King fan, myself. I'd wanted a Barracuda for a long time, then the Barracuda, Jr. (Trekker), but ended up with a Saltwater Special. Wish I'd waited. Maybe it's time for eBay.

M-D
Puck

Post by Puck »

I've been tying for about ten year now and I know what I will buy for my next vice. The Griffin Patriot. It is not a true rotary but you can change out the jaws to match the type of tying you are doing. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is $.
StuckInTheMud

Dyna King vs Renzetti

Post by StuckInTheMud »

I dont want to beat a dead horse here, but my b-day is coming up and I get a new vise so I wanted to ask a few questions, and yall are great about answers!

I read all the reviews here and decided to pick between the Renzetti traveler and the Dyna king Kingfisher. I really like the kingfisher. Its simple and the notches make sense to hold a hook until the end of time (my current vise sucks but I've tried to make due, it just doesnt hold). Kinda leaning towards this one due to its simplicity.

Does the Renzetti have the notches like the Kingfisher? I couldnt really tell from looking so I'm guessing they dont. Also, what is the little extension looking gizmo on the Renzetti? I'm guessing its some contraption to hold the bobbin out of the way, but how important is that? Not real sure, so I figured i'd ask.

Last bunch. The rotary vices, I haven't put my hands on one so I am unfamiliar with where they rotate. Does rotary mean they spin 360 on the axis horizontal with the hook (x like axis) or does it spin in the vertical axis where the stem comes up? Either one would be beneficial, i just wanted to clear that one up. Left or right handed. The renzetti page said you had to specify if you want a right or left handed tying vise. I tie with the hook eye facing to my right. Which one does this make me, right handed?
Thats all the questions I've got. I'm excited to be getting a new one, so any input yall have is much appreciated. Thanks!

-Stuck
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I started out with a Kingfisher and it's a great vise. The notches and groves hold a hook very tight. I bought it before Renzetti came out with a cam lock. I really like having the cam lock for the jaws. It makes changing out hooks quick and easy.

For my birthday my wife bought me the Renzetti Traveler. I was a little concerned about the hook holding power vs the Kingfisher. The traveler has smooth surfaces on the jaws. However, the newer Renzettis have a cam lock which seems to make it easier to get a very secure hold on the hook. I've been using it for a couple of months now with no complainants.

As far as the rotary part. The kingfisher is not a true rotary vise. It does rotate a hook 360°, but the hook shaft will not stay horizontal when rotated. The traveler is a true rotary vise. I was told when I started that a rotary feature wasn't needed. It may not be a necessity, but it sure is nice to have. Since getting the Traveler I haven't even had the slightest urge to get the Kingfisher back out.

"The extension gizmo" is a a bobin holder. It comes in handy when you want to get the bobin out of your way. That's another thing that isn't a necessity, but nice to have.
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

If you are in the market for a new vise, Hook & Hackle has a sale going on right now. 20% off and free shipping. I just got a Barracuda ordered the other day after Popasan told me about the sale; saved alot of money even off of eBay prices. eBay has gone up in prices right now, I guess due to fishing season just around the corner. I have been looking there for awhile but this sale is a better deal. Here's the link. http://www.hookhack.com/

fishin'