I wanna try a spoon fly----help

let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I haven't had that problem. I use several thin coats to build up a head. Maybe that makes a difference?
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Hey Joe
Here's some mini-spoon flys (#12's & #14's) that I've had some luck with on Rainbows, especially when they're chasing Minnows.
There's also a couple of SF's tied on #6 hooks for White Bass.
Attachments
Rainbow sized-Assorted colors 
<br />(#12 &amp; #14)
Rainbow sized-Assorted colors
(#12 & #14)
mini spoons1.jpg (29.56 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
White Bass sized-Gold (#6)
White Bass sized-Gold (#6)
Spoon Fly #6 Gld Holograph.jpg (15.71 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
White Bass sized-Green (#6)
White Bass sized-Green (#6)
Spoon Fly #6 Grn Holograph.jpg (12.43 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
Puck

My version of the spoon fly

Post by Puck »

Based off of the Cave's Wobbler, I was able to get this. This one has actully caught fish in the fresh water, but not the salt yet.
Attachments
Epoxy Wobbler 2.JPG
Epoxy Wobbler 2.JPG (35.09 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
Epoxy Wobbler 4.JPG
Epoxy Wobbler 4.JPG (44.62 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

SFC_Puck
Good looking flys.
I used to tie the Cave style Spoon Fly, but found the Mylar tape and Epoxy easier and faster to make. However, many a Flamingo Redfish had (and a few Snook) their necks streched from biting a Cave Wobbler.

Post by Guest »

Special to Slowride, Flies Only, Barry and anybody else who ties lots of spoonflies. only wll te a couple of dozen ths year and haven't yet settled on a shape or sze yet. What s the most tedous tme-consumng step n ther constructon? Cuttng and shapng the mylar!! Go to http://www.riverroadcreations.com/products.htm and loo at what they sell then go to the last lne on the page. They can buld you custom cutters. They don't say how much only that t vares by dffculty. There s more nfo on ther FAQ page. can't justfy the cost unless t s smlar to the prce of ther regular cutters but bet ya'll can. And f you do you owe me fve mnutes alone wth the cutter.
jklepomis

Post by jklepomis »

Sorry That was me. i hate ths laptop. i'll clean it up here. it sometimes loses the 'i' and the 'k'.

Special to Slowride, Flies Only, Barry and anybody else who ties lots of spoonflies. i only will tie a couple of dozen ths year and i haven't yet settled on a shape or size yet. What is the most tedous time-consumng step in their construction? Cutting and shaping the mylar!! Go to http://www.riverroadcreations.com/products.htm and look at what they sell then go to the last line on the page. They can build you custom cutters. They don't say how much only that it vares by difficulty. There is more info on ther FAQ page. i can't justify the cost unless it is similar to the price of ther regular cutters but i bet ya'll can. And if you do you owe me five mnutes alone with the cutter.

Jack
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Jack
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check them out.
FLIES ONLY

Post by FLIES ONLY »

Yes indeed. Thanks. I may look in to that. I'm trying to just make one size these days, but I haven't really decided what size that's gonna be yet. Ah heck, you really gotta have 3 or 4 sizes anywho...I'm thinking of fishing with nothing else from now on :roll: Might as well make a box of just them! And a few foil poppers for fun and I'm set. We'll see...