box for vc

landlocked

box for vc

Post by landlocked »

Does anyone know of a good fly box for big hackled flies like the voodoo child and dahlberg divers? I can't find anything that won't crush the hackle or deer hair.
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

landlocked
Do a search on this site on making your own fly box. There was a string about it a couple of months ago.
You can build fly boxes that fit the description you gave for less than $2.00 each. They look good and work great!
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

The photos didn't come up here so I have updated this post.............

One shot shows the 2 different boxes I make. One is a VHS tape box and the other is small hard plastic box.

The other shot shows the materials I use to make the boxes. I make them using a craft foam sheet as backing for roll soffett seal. I cut the craft foam to fit the box them glue the seal (light blue foam) to the sheet foam. Then I cut the seal to shape and stick them into the box. I do not glue the foam into the box. It is held in place by its cut shape.

The cost is very minimum. The craft foam is $8 for 12 sheets. A 50' roll of soffett seal was $3.50 at Lowes. The VHS boxes are 5 for $3 at WalMart. The small plastic boxes suck and they are $2 at the container store. I am still trying to find a more suitable "pocket" box.

joe
Attachments
materials.jpg
flyboxes1.jpg
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Hobby Lobby has some good pocket boxes Joe.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

All that I have found have dividers inside like for saving beads, etc. I need a small plastic box with an open interior. Have you seen any like that at Hobby Lobby????

If any of you see any thing like that ...let me know. I looked for boxes for computer backup tapes like DLT tapes. VHS-C would be perfect but I can't find those either. I cannot find those boxes anywhere.
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

I have a bunch of DLT cases. They are 4 3/8" square and 1 1/4" deep. They open weird, so the foam would have to be glued in. Open they only have three sides. Let me know if you want to see one and I'll take a photo of one tonight. I can probably get a ton of these.

Post by Guest »

Hang on to them!!! The 3 sides when open is exactly the same as the VHS boxes. The stiff but flexible plastic is what makes them desirable. It doesn't break or crack!!!! I am going to steal a DLT box from here today and try to build a box. If it works, I'll get you to send me some. I will send you back a couple of DLT Fly boxes....
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

No problem. Any body else want some?
landlocked

Post by landlocked »

Awesome advice! I guess my young mind doesn't think about the "cheap" ideas as I am quick to go straight to the fly shop. Your boxes are more versatile than anything you can buy. I am now in the process of constructing a drier and vhs boxes saving loads of cash. Thanks guys for the financial boost! If anyone else has good do-it-yourself advice, let it loose.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by GoinCoastal »

I was the guest above..... I grabbed an old DLT tape box this afternoon at the office. It is now a very nice thick pocket fly box.........

check it out.......
Attachments
IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG
IMG_1419.JPG
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by GoinCoastal »

more pics
Attachments
IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1423.JPG
IMG_1424.JPG
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by GoinCoastal »

AND IT FITS IN A FISHING SHIRT POCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
IMG_1425.JPG
popasan

Post by popasan »

great looking pics Joe.....that is a super idea..... :)

Larry
Yakfish

GREAT IDEA

Post by Yakfish »

Anybody know where I can buy some of these DLT boxes?
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

Yakfish, How many do you want? Send me a PM and I'll make sure to get some for you.
Wetbutt

DLT Boxes

Post by Wetbutt »

Hello Clay, If you would bring 2or 3 of the DLT boxes to the FTU meeting I would sure try to put them to good use. Thanks Ken
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

stupid!

Post by Kayak Kid »

Duuuuhhhhh.....once again someone on this chat group has made me feel stupid. Thanks for the fantastic idea about a fly box. Can't believe I've spent so much unnecessarily on fly boxes from the fly shops.