TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

By Mike H
Barry,

What would rank as your top five patterns for bass?

Mike
By Barry
Mike H wrote:Barry,

What would rank as your top five patterns for bass?

Mike

Mike
Off the top of my head I'd say;
1. Shoefly
2. Clouser
3. Gurgler
4. Polar Minnow
5. Bully Spider
In that order.
By Mike H
Thanks,

Any web links to those flies for those of us who are fly challenged?

Any chance those are covered over at Backwoods?

Let me know when you're fishing the Brazos or making a run to the coast if you need some company. I'm looking to making a trip(s) after 1/24.

Mike
By fishin'
The gurgler and bully spider are both on the link at the top of this post.

fishin'
By fishin'
Barry, what are your favorite colors for the bully spider? I've tied some up chart and some in a orangish brown. Also what sizes are you tying that in? I've been targeting bream and bass and have been tying them in #10. They still don't look as good as yours but they're getting there. :lol:

fishin'
By Barry
fishin' wrote:Barry, what are your favorite colors for the bully spider? I've tied some up chart and some in a orangish brown. Also what sizes are you tying that in? I've been targeting bream and bass and have been tying them in #10. They still don't look as good as yours but they're getting there. :lol:

fishin'

Fred
Thanks for the kind words about the flys. Yours will look as good with a little practice.
The colors I've had the most luck with are black, brown, olive & burnt orange. I tie them in sizes ranging from #16's to #4's depending on the target species. That 9# Largemouth I caught at Purtis Creek was on a #8 brown Bully. The Reds & Trout were caught on Bullys tied on Mustad 3407 #4's. If I had to pick one size for freshwater it would be a #8 tied on a Mustad 3366 hook. For Rainbows, I like to tie the Bullys on #14 hooks in Burnt Orange. Al calls them my "Corn Flys". (LOL)
PA14 PVC distance?

Thanks for all the help fellas. Picked them up yes[…]

Radar 135

PM sent.

again Tom, shoffer is entirely correct, but all t[…]

Kayak found at Aransas pass

Did anyone ever hear any updated info on this sit[…]