KNOTS

FLYYAK

KNOTS

Post by FLYYAK »

I desided to test a few knots today as Lefty Kreh suggest you do. My results surprised me. I used 12lb mono and tried at least 10 each. No.1 was the clinch it broke at the knot everytime.The improved clinch same thing.New improved same.Trilene same. The palomar never broke it broke the line,the surgeon broke the line,the improved surgeon broke the line. I'm going to test some more tomorrow. Would like to see some feed back on your knots. Maybe someone should start a poll. It would be nice to know what your weakest link is,when a big fish is trying to break off. 8) :D
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

I did the same type of testing 25 years ago and it convinced me of the value of the surgeon knot and palomar and albright. I hardly use any others. I now use perfection loops on my leader butts and sometimes loops on the flies. Guess I should test these too. My results 25 years ago also showed the same results as your testing of the clinch knots.

fishin'
FLYYAK

knots

Post by FLYYAK »

Did they have mono 25yrs ago? Did you start testing knots at age 5.The perfection loops I have been using will have to go, testing on the end loop knot was favorable I'm going to use some different mono on the next test and then flourcarbon. :idea: 8) :D :D :D :D, If y ou run more test let us know! Yeah I know your a couple of years older than I indicated. I don't buy green bannanas anymore. :D :D
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

:lol: They had braided mono too. Remember that stuff? :lol: Sounds like the surgeon's loop will be the preferred loop knot for the leader butt for me. Thanks for posting the tests Bob.
Did you try any "wet" testing? :lol:
Barry, what kinds of lines did they have way back when? You know, right after dirt was invented? (j/k) :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

I think I'll do dome more testing myself. I'll post the results later. It will be wet tests.

fishin'
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

When Barry started flyfishing they used braided Wooly Mammoth hair line. The hard part was sneaking up on those wooly mammoths without the sabre tooth tigers seeing you.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

I remember Barry telling a story of dodging T-Rex's to get to his favorite fishin' hole. Of course, imagining Barry wearing animal skin clothes and running bare foot with a fly rod in his hand isn't hard to do. :P :P
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Flyyak, at what poundage did the knots break?
Puck

Knots poll?

Post by Puck »

Please do post a poll. Just make sure to put the choise of "other" in there, since I have no clue as to the name of the know I've been using for years on 12# and under line.
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

I use an Orvis knot almost exclusively to tie on flies. It works well up to and including 25 lb. test line. If I'm not using the Orvis knot then I'm using a non-slip loop knot.

I know you all know to wet the line before pulling the knot tight, but also remember to pull the knot snug for two - three seconds. No knot breaks without first slipping, and if the knot is not snug to begin with, then the knot will fail prematurely. The curly-Q is always a dead give-away that a knot has slipped prior to failure.

M-D
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Y'all listen to what MD posted. His information was dead-on.
The knots I usually use are;
Backing to reel- arbor knot
Backing to fly line- double surgeon’s loop knot
Fly line to backing- served/ braided loop
Fly line to furled leader- served/ braided loop
Furled leader to tippet- double surgeon’s loop knot
Tippet to fly- Rhode’s loop knot on every thing as I usually don’t tie clinch knots.
If I’m making a class tippet, I’ll use a Bimini twist with a double surgeon’s loop knot in each end.
If I’m tying a tapered leader, I’ll use a blood knot to join the sections together.
GC, Bil & Fred bite me!!!!!!!!!!!!! (LOL)
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Backing to reel- Duncan knot
Backing to fly line- Duncan knot
Fly line to leader- Duncan knot with Perfection Loop to Perfection Loop
Leader to tippet- Double overhand knot
Tippet to fly- Duncan knot

All this came from some guy named Dave Whitlock. Take a peak at the LL Bean Fly-Fishing Handbook by dave. It is one of the best books out there.
mike
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by mike »

i use the palomar exclusively and never have had a problem. i dont use mono much and when i use it on spider wire i tie one or two overhand knots after i tie the palomar. not sure if it helps but it does convince me it makes it less likely to pull thru on the braided stuff!!