Msg to Barry re: Mono thread

ellisredfish

Msg to Barry re: Mono thread

Post by ellisredfish »

Barry,
Thanks for the tip. I was in Wal-Mart a couple of months ago and bought some of the mono thread. I was hopping there would be some application for it in fly tying. I also spent an hour today watching a professional tyer at The Angler's Edge here in Houston and picked up a few tips from her. Last weekend I bought some waxed flymaster plus thread and wanted an opinion on its use for spinning deer hair. At the time, she was tying deer hair crabs and told me that is the thread she now uses for such flies.
Cheers, Ellis
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

ellisredfish
The mono is a great all-purpose thread for most of your tying jobs. However, stacking/spinning hair isn't one of them. The Flymaster Plus is more suited for that kind of tying. Was it Gracie Lui you were watching at Angler's Edge? If so, you watched one of the best. She ties some beautiful flys.
ellisredfish

Fly tying

Post by ellisredfish »

The lady's name is Rosario. She is from Mexico and the original owner of that shop started her on fly tying. She said that she has been working there seventeen years. She will be at the fly tying festival but only as an observer. Thanks again Barry. Cheers, Ellis
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

ellisredfish
I know who you mean. I tied with her at one of the Shallow Water Shows a few years ago. She's very good!
Last edited by Barry on Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puck

Mono Thread

Post by Puck »

I have posted a few picks of the epoxy flies that I tie under the note "show me your flies." All of the surf candies were tied using mono thread. It disappears as the epoxy cures. "Pop Fleyes" by Ed Jawowroski and Bov popovics, ISBN #0-8117-1247-8, covers more epoxy and silicone flies than I ever could.
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

When Ed comes back down later this year for another casting seminar, he'll have plenty of the Pop Fleyes books. If you've a mind, you can have him to sign yours if you already have one. That book is already a classic in the genre.

M-D