Fly reel and rods ?

Fish MD2

Fly reel and rods ?

Post by Fish MD2 »

I am looking to buy a combo for some saltwater fishing, but dont have alot of money and i am just starting; what combo do you guys fish with?
Sorry in advance if this topic has been beaten to death. Thank you :roll:
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

I have a Cortland 5 wt rod paired with an Orvis cassetter reel for freshwater. For saltwater I have an 8wt rod Barry built for me with an Orvis reel.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

You might want to check with Cabela's for a combo in your price range. You will probably want an 8wt for saltwater fishing. Or you can build your own via TFO (Temple Forks Outfitters) rods from Cabelas or Burfish.com. TFO has 3 lines of rods endorsed by Lefty Kreh. They are Series 1, Professional, and TiCr in order of least expensive to most. Then call Adam's Outlet in Austin to buy an overstocked/discontinued Orvis or STH reel at about 60% off ($40-$120). Then buy some HEADSTART fltline and your set.

I bought a Series1 for $80 or $90 from Burfish, an Orvis Rocky Mt 3/4 Cassette reel for $35 from Adam's and Headstart Line for $35. That was a 4wt for freshwater fishing. I have a really nice rig for $150-$160.

burfish.com

Post by Guest »

Go to BURFISH.COM and look at the Temple Fork Rods and Okuma reels. I have heard great things about them. I have an Okuma reel for my 10 wt and I love it.

DJ[/url]
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

Another option: I bought a TFO from these guys and was very satisfied with the fast and free delivery. I got the TiCr and got a free rod tube in the deal too.
http://www.ezflyfish.com/flyrodsreels.html

The Okuma Integrity reels are a great buy. You might check on eBay for one but the place I got my last one was The Country Shed: http://www.thecountryshed.com/okuma_fly_reels.htm They have the Integrity large arbor reels for about $57. Very fast shipping and easy to deal with.

SA Headstart line also from ezflyfish.com

You should be set with the rod and reel and line. No Texas tax to boot. :lol:

The Tetons and Tiogas that Fredtoo mentioned are very nice reels too.

fishin'
Last edited by fishin' on Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish MD2

what about?

Post by Fish MD2 »

Hey guys what do think about Cabelas Genesis fly combo- $135, Scientific angler saltcombo-$100, or G.loomis pescador $180 dollars?
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Teton reels

Post by fredtoo »

check out the Teton and Tioga reels on Ebay sold by Mikescottsflyshop.

I have bought 5 or 6 reels from Mike and he will offer you the best deal on a brand new quality reel that you can find. You can buy an extra reel for a little more than you would normally pay for a spool !

I have recommended him to others and they always thank me after they buy from him.

fredtoo
Clip

Post by Clip »

Fish MD2

The rod and the line are very important. The reel less so.
TFO makes 3 series of rods varying in price from about $80 - $219. A $150 TFO rod is comparable to many other rods costing over $500. All TFO rods come with a lifetime 'No Questions Asked' $25 repair or replacement cost. If you can afford it, the TiCr rod at $219 for the 8wt is a good way to go. I tried a 2-piece Series 1 and I thought it a nice rod.

If I had it to do over again, my first rod would have been the Series 1 2-piece. The thing is, if you really like it, you'll end up with more than 1 rod. The better your rod, the more likely you are to stay with it.

Any of the reels mentioned, should be just fine.

Temple Forks Outfitters Series 1 8wt 2-piece $99.95
Scientific Anglers Mastery Headstart line $35.00
STH IM-POP CASSETTE ® REEL $40.00
(comes with spare cassette)
Backing $10.00

Total $185.

Of course, you might want a 5 wt. and at least 1 more 8wt and more reels, and a fly tying vise, and ...

You can never have enuff stuff.
chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Teton reels

Post by chavez »

fredtoo wrote:check out the Teton and Tioga reels on Ebay sold by Mikescottsflyshop.

I have bought 5 or 6 reels from Mike and he will offer you the best deal on a brand new quality reel that you can find. You can buy an extra reel for a little more than you would normally pay for a spool !

I have recommended him to others and they always thank me after they buy from him.

fredtoo

I would recommend Mike Scott simply because of the outstanding service as well as the deals. I bought a new Teton reel with a spare spool from him this week for $116! He loaded backing, line and leader on both spools for a $28 off what the two lines together cost. He's lightning quick as I received it all today! The man knows how to delight his customers!

Thanks again fredtoo for originally suggesting Mike Scott to me.
FishDFly

Chavez

Post by FishDFly »

Were on ebay is Teton/Tioga/Mike Scott?

Thanks
chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Chavez

Post by chavez »

FishDFly wrote:Were on ebay is Teton/Tioga/Mike Scott?

Thanks

FDF,

I hope this link helps...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... =3&rows=50
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Mike Scotts Flyshop

Post by fredtoo »

or better yet, email him directly at

mikescottsflyshop@yahoo.com

and tell him what you need. nobody makes Ebay richer that way!

fredtoo
FishDFly

Post by FishDFly »

Thanks
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Get the Pescador.