TKF 10,000 Club

new color spoonfly

Post by let's go »

The latest version to go with the chartruese model
Attachments
orange spoony.JPG
orange spoony 2.JPG

Post by Guest »

What size hook are you using? and are you epoxying the whole thing?

Sorry didnt log in

Semperfly
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

I ilke it Scott!!! Are you using mylar tape for the body? And what hook are you using? Do you re-bend the shank?

I made some using the automotive mylar tape. I need some practice. I also picked up some fake finger nails at Walmart and they do make a nice spoonfly. I used the airbrush to do a gold spoon and it worked pretty good. I am going to try a few more of the nail spoonflies. When I get my drier built, I am going to to try some more tape/epoxy spoonflies.
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Scott
Nice looking SF, good job!!!!!!! Don't forget to get that excess epoxy off the hook point on the fly you photographed.
Puck

Epoxy on tip

Post by Puck »

That would make this fly a TAG fly. Touch and go, a trend in teh catch and release section. If you get the fish to bite you don't have to worry about damaging him with a pesty sharp point.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

The hook is a #4 Mustad 34011. I bent it by hand instead of using pliers. It seems that the bend is curved better that way. The orange material is the same stuff I used on the chartreuse model. It's a flimsy plastic called "bright edge". I've also seen it under the name "lazer edge". I picked it up at Anglers Edge, but I also saw it in the Wapsi catalogue. I'm coating the whole thing with the Loon waterbased fly finish. I might try some epoxy soon.

GC - You'll love the drier. I knocked out a dozen of these in about an hour and put 'em all on the drier overnight.

Barry - I noticed that drop after I took the photo, but it's gone now.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Oops. I forgot to add that I'm putting a clear mylar with printed scales over the plastic.
popasan

Post by popasan »

very nice looking spoons Scott......have you tried them out yet?.... :)

Larry
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Only in the swimming pool. They wobble on the fall and 9 times out of 10 they land hook up. With short strips they flash, but don't spin. I think they'll work. I based everything on the Horbey Beetle, just couldn't find the same plastic he uses.
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

You can try using some .030 lead wire, doubled and lashed to the bottom of the hook shank, about inline with the point, so that the fly will ride hook up, and it might even produce a wobble when retrieved. I've noticed that this effect doesn't just happen, but requires a little engineering.

I've been using mono for a weed-guard, but have decided that thin wire is a better alternative.

Nice looking flies, Scott!

M-D
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Thanks MD. I've got some titanium leader wire that I'm using on the one's I intend to fish with. The one in the photo was a prototype for testing in the pool. I'll try the lead wire and see how it works.
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

Let's go...I have seen Tom trash one of his own spoons because it did not have the right wobble (although he wouldnt let me have it !)...so it must be something pretty hard to predict per each spoon, even for him.

If it won't wobble, he won't fish it.
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

let's go wrote:Only in the swimming pool. They wobble on the fall and 9 times out of 10 they land hook up. With short strips they flash, but don't spin. I think they'll work. I based everything on the Horbey Beetle, just couldn't find the same plastic he uses.

Scott
You can quick test your spoon fly's action in the kitchen, by dropping them in a 1 or 2 cup measuring cup filled with water. If they're going to wobble, you should see them turn hook up and flutter once or twice before they hit the bottom, hook-up. If they nose-dive for the bottom they won't wobble in real use, and if they flutter once and land hook down, they're going to spin.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Cool. Thanks Barry. I usually just put them on a light spinning rig and toss 'em in the pool. i can do the cup of water at the tying desk.
jklepomis

Post by jklepomis »

On a whim today, I googled 'holographic mylar'. First hit is the home page for the company that sells it to the fly shops. Check out all of the colors!! They also have pre-cut shapes available, though for lures not flies. So who has a retail business that we could co-op a bunch through?

http://www.wtp-inc.com/colorchart_a.html

There are three pages of colors and at least that many of shapes
FLIES ONLY

Post by FLIES ONLY »

They do have an awesome color selection. That's the folks that make the tape sold at FTU and Anglers Edge in Houston. It's quite a bit cheaper at FTU.