11 foot fly rod?

BoneDigger

11 foot fly rod?

Post by BoneDigger »

Cabelas has an 11 foot fly rod that comes in three pieces called a float tube rod. Has anyone ever tried anything this long? Would the rod still keep it's strength and flexibility? It seems like the longer the better when fishing from a kayak. The combo is $215, which seems pretty good. Here is the link... If the link is too long and won't work just go to cabelas and type in "float tuber fly rod."

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Todd in Tyler
Puck

Long rod

Post by Puck »

My 9wt is a 10ft rod. It takes a little more work to use than a 9ft, but I'll take the trade-offs. I know nothing about a one-handed 11ft.
FishDFly

Rod Length

Post by FishDFly »

On aother board I asked the same question regarding using a 10' rod versus a 9'. Most rods are a 9' in length and I thought that the extra foot might help with the fly hitting the water on the back cast. In summary, the answer was fix your casting style, not buy another rod

I am not sure what the balance would be like.
Clip

Post by Clip »

BoneDigger,

I'm still pretty much a novice at fly fishing. I bought a 9' G.Loomis Cross Currents 1-piece 8wt. rod . I had some problems trying to cast from my yak. I'm sure it is more me than the rod. I now also have a 9' Gatti 2-piece 8wt that Barry made. I'm using the same reel and SA Mastery Series Headstart line on both rods. The Headstart line is great for casting 30-40 feet. The action of the rods is quite different. The Gatti is very much a tip action rod. It is easy for me to cast from my yak. With the Gatti I can cast in any direction in winds up to 20 mph. With the G.Loomis I can cast downwind OK but not much else. Of course, when I've let anyone else use my G.Loomis, they all seem to cast much better than I do. The feel of the line loading is spread along the entire rod with the G.Loomis and it is very difficult for me to feel the rod loading.

I think that casting from a kayak is more than just rod length.
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

I'd agree that the casting technique is more responsible for bad casts from a float-tube or kayak, than is the rod length. The line will always follow the tiptop. If the tiptop is stopped when it is moving towards the water, the line will follow. The answer to the problem is to not have the tiptop headed towards the water when it is stopped, and is not a longer rod. I cant conceive of any reason to have a one-handed rod of eleven feet in length.

M-D
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

well MD, use your imagination. you get a rod long enough and you won't have to cast at all...just jig the danged thing! Fly Jigging rules !
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

LOL, Fred. Indeed, you are correct. After all, dapping was the original method of fishing the fly, wasn't it? :)

M-D
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

BoneDigger
Don't think that an 11' rod will help your backcast from hitting the water behind you, because it won't. Like some of the other posts said, proper casting technique is what stops the fly from hitting the water behind you. In reality the good reasons for having a rod this long would be; the extra length could help one mending lines, and extra-long distance casting. Two of the bad things (from personal experience) are these longer rods are harder to cast (much harder to stop during you're casting stroke) and can give you a fit in high wind conditions.
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

the longer rods can sometimes help when you are wading with your back near the raised bank. Picture that scenario and is obvious how it can provide additional clearance even when your backcast is perfectly level.

out in the water, wading or boating, it will not provide more clearance for a proper cast.
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

In most cases fine tuning your casting technique wil increase distance using your current rod.

The question to ask is :Do you move your rod in an arc? Or do you move it in astraight line? Let me know.