What makes a rod good for sinking (tip) lines?

chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

What makes a rod good for sinking (tip) lines?

Post by chavez »

I've been reading various fly fishing forums on various sites and have seen discussions and comments on rods like the TFO rods, etc. In several, I've noticed folks saying things like "I wouldn't use it for casting a sinking tip or sinking line". Apperently, it seems, all fly rods cast a floating line fine but sinking tip or sinking line requires a specific rod type. I haven't seen anyone explain why they say this. I assume because it requires a stiffer rod for lifting the line from the water?

Can someone explain what requirements a rod should have for it being used with a sinking (tip) line?
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Luciano,

It's not that a rod, any rod, cant cast a sinking line, it's just that some rods are better suited for the task. Typically, you want a rod that has a stout butt and mid-sections. This is because we typically use a sinking line that is one to two line-weights heavier than for what the rod is rated. What you want is the rod to load deep so that all of the power of the rod is brought to bear. A rod of moderate action will cast any line, but will not have the same power reserve that a fast action or a very-fast action rod will have. What we want with a sinking line is distance, and lots of it.

Consider that there is only the weighted head and perhaps a bit of overhang out the tiptop. How much overhang needs to be determined simply by casting. In addition, casting a shooting head or sink-tip line is different than casting a floating line. The loop must be opened up for one thing, and it is best, in my experience, to not come to a stop on the back cast, but to have one continuous semi-circular motion ala the Belgian cast.

You mentioned picking up line, too. Actually, you dont pick up the line as when making a back cast with a weight-forward line. What you do is, once the line has been retrieved and the correct amount of line is out the tiptop, make a roll cast, and as soon as the end of the fly line is in contact with the water, begin the backcast. This is what is known as a "water haul". There is sufficient weight from the line itself to load the rod.

The whole technique is different, for sure, and requires a bit of practice. Most people will not like using a shooting head/sink tip, but with a little practice it comes about as naturally as does anything else. Trying to cast a shooting head/sink tip in the same manner as a weight-forward line will prove to be a very frustrating experience.

M-D
Clip

Post by Clip »

M-D

You've tried my G.Loomis Cross Current rod. Do you think it would be a good rod for a sink tip? I've been thinking of using it as a jetty rod.
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Sure, Clip, your rod would be a good one, as I recall. I dont think, however, that a full-sinking line is needed nor wanted at the jetties. I've tried that, and it seems the line is constantly getting caught in-between the rocks. Since the sides of the jetty slope out so far, it's easy to see that the line would become tangled even when at some distance from you. I think a better alternative would be a sink-tip line of perhaps 15 ft., with a Type III or Type VI rating, depending upon the depth you want the fly. You want one that is density-compensated, too, so that the line wont hinge as it's being cast.

Bear in mind that this is only my idea of what should work, and that I've not actually tried it, though I will at some point this coming summer/fall. If I'm not mistaken, Lefty Ray uses a weight-forward line at the jetties.

M-D
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

I use a WF with people standing around me. When no one is looking I switch to a Type V SA Uniform sink.

With any sink tip or sinking line, you HAVE to keep an eye on it or risk losing it. I lost two sinking shooting heads this past summer.