A.K. BEST IN HOUSTON

Mack

A.K. BEST IN HOUSTON

Post by Mack »

A.K. Best will be the featured tyer/presenter at the upcoming Texas Fly Fishers Fly Tying Festival on Saturday, February 7 in Houston. The Festival runs all day and will be at the Holiday Inn at I10 and Antoine (west of 610 and east of the Beltway). Over 50 tyers are participating from around the country and will be tying both freshwater and saltwater flies. Even if you are not a tyer yourself this is an event you shouldn't miss.

A.K. Best is one of the most prominent and well know fly tyers in the world. You have probably seen one of his aticles in the leading fly fishings magazines, have one of his books or read about A.K. in John Gierach's novels. A.K. will give a slide presentation at 1:00 on matching naturals and will be tying all day at the festival. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to learn from a true master (arguably "The Master").

For more information please got to Texas Fly Fishers website: texasflyfishers.org
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

Woohoo, now that I'm not going to Orlando I can make the tying festival.
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

"It was the best of times and the worst of times"

Last year while tying at this show, the space shutle crashed while attempting to land. Some of the tyers and attendees had their pagers and cel phones going off like crazy. Sad day.

This year my good friend, Steve Flanagan, will be tying in front of everybody in the room with the video camera and TV screens. be sure to catch it. He is one of the best at saltwater flies in the state. I have known Steve for over 15 years as we have fished all over and tied at numerous events over the years.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Ray, I was just leaving the house last year when that happened. It cast a pall over what is usually a real energetic group of folks.

In a moment of weakness, last week I told Frank I would occupy a spot at the tying tables. What makes a man do those kinda things. Oh well, I guess it's put up or shut up time. In trying to do something a little different, I think I will tie some "Classic" saltwater flies like Lefty's Deceiver, the Stu Apte Tarpon Fly, the Homer Rhode Tarpon Streamer, Joe Brooks Blondes and the Lee Cuddy Bonefish Fly. I hope I can find a couple of additonal patterns. Of course if things get too bad, I can always go over to the beginners table and help out.
I hope to see a lot of you there. 'til then, be careful this weekend. AC
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

. . or you could go the easy route and do "NBC's"

(Nothing But Clousers)
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Nah, but I might tie some Guadalupanas with the flourescent orange tails! I think they are easier to tie and just as effective. Besides, I'm sure Mr. Clouser's (and Mr. Kreh's) pattern will be well represented.
Attachments
Guadalupana Naranja.JPG
Last edited by Animal Chris on Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Don't forget my comission
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

I'll be sure you get your 20% on all that I sell. Sorry about the quality of the pic. The fly really looks good in real life and good light.