one piece or multi piece rods??

Barry's Dad

one piece or multi piece rods??

Post by Barry's Dad »

Howdy gang.
As most of you know a few years ago everyone was talking 5 piece and even 7 piece rods. This year it is GLoomis one piece rods.
Some times your choice is because of travel. Others may find that storage and transportation are the reasons for multi piece rods.
When I had my Ford Ranger I was lookin' for three piece 9 ft. or two piece 7-1/2 ft rods so I could store them behind the seat. Now I have a full size pick up and can store my two piece 10 footer behind the seat. (with a little slant).
I was fishing the other day and thought of another reason to have a multi piece rod. I wrapped the leader & fly line around the tip of my rod. Yea I do that some times too. It was very easy to pull the rod apart and not have to put the reel in the dirt or water to reach the end of the line. Then I though Gee that must be why they still make a two piece rod. Of course. saves putting the rod butt out and hanging on to the tip trying to reach the tip....
OK so I can add one more reason for a rod that comes apart.
Lefty how would you reach the tip if you jamb a knot in the tip top of your one piece rod while in your kayak???
Inquiring minds want to know?

ol Al
Clip

Post by Clip »

Al,

I have a Cross Current 1-piece and I wanted it for a boat rod to use in my skiff. I didn't have a kayak. I blew the lower unit in my outboard and I could wait over a month to get it fixed or buy another outboard. I bought a kayak instead and waited for for the lower unit repair. Being new to fly fishing and kayaking, fly fishing sitting in the kayak was beyond me so I would anchor the kayak and wade. Jams in the tip are no problem. I just lay the rod butt in the kayak and stand in the water. I can also reach the tip if in my kayak if I lay the butt end on the front hatch top but it is easier if I am out of the kayak.