Ugly fly!!!!!!!!!!!

FLIES ONLY

Ugly fly!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by FLIES ONLY »

This is one ugly fly! I found it in a web-site somewhere...I tied a few up. I took them out Monday for testing. OH MY GOD :shock: This thing pops, guggles and dives. If you strip easy an constant it will wiggle on the surface. It you strip hard and constant it will dive to 6"-8" or so and stay there. When you stop it rises FAST. It's weighs nothing and lands like a feather. It casts fairly easy. I think my days of carving balsa and making foil poppers may be over! The best part of this fly is the name....The Poon Wiggler!!!!! I am not making it up! It's a tarpon fly originally, but I'm thinkin' reds, trout and lagermouth bass. Kinda early to tell yet. Gotta do some Rand D and to try it on some real fish now. :wink:
Attachments
Poon Wiggler 2.JPG
Poon Wiggler 2.JPG (12.3 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

TED - we need a bigger picture or the link to the website ....

Better yet..... the recipe!!!!!
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

I found the tying instructions by doing a google search on the name ...

http://www.danblanton.com/poonwigglerins.html

http://www.fishabout.com/news.html
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Dang it, Ted! Giving up the stuff I had held in reserve. Dont be so dadgummed generous with the secret weapons, okay?

<A HREF="http://www.danblanton.com/poonwigglerins.html">Howard's Poon Wiggler -- Recipe</A>

M-D
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

Ted
If you want another sheet foam fly that really dives and wiggles check out the photo below. There are different variations of it called the Wiggle Bug, Wiggle Diver, etc, but they all are pretty much tied the same.
I've found that using 3mm foam works well, and they seem to dive/wiggle better if you bend the eye of the hook up just a tad.
These flys cast about like a Gurgler does.
Attachments
wigglebug.jpeg
wigglebug.jpeg (27.96 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
FLIES ONLY

Post by FLIES ONLY »

Yeah Barry, that was gonna be the next one I tried out. It looks "fishy". Goin Coastal....I think that's where I got the recipe. Don't know if it's gonna catch fish or chase them away :roll:
FLIES ONLY

Bigger Pic?

Post by FLIES ONLY »

Let's see if I can make it biggger. I just figured out how to post a pic this afternoon. Here goes......
Attachments
Poon Wiggler.JPG
Poon Wiggler.JPG (27.61 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
FLIES ONLY

Sorry M-D

Post by FLIES ONLY »

M-D
Sorry big guy.....I just learned how to post pics and got so excited I just had to post somethin'. This was my latest project.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Who cares if it catches fish, I just like the name. :lol: