White bass flies...

Fishing Elvis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

White bass flies...

Post by Fishing Elvis »

With the white bass run right around the corner I thought I would make a thread to see what everyone's favorite white bass flies are. I've never done a whole lot of white bass fishing, but want to start hitting some of the hill country rivers this year. Would also like to hear what setup you're gonna be using on them.
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

For white bass I use primarily a clouser (white/silver or white/gray or white/white or white/chart) sparsley tied in a #8 thru #4 (Mustad 3407 or Mustad 34007). Sometimes bead chain eyes and sometimes lead eyes. Depends on water conditions, depth of the water and speed of current. In shallow water I will use a floating line (WF5F) and a 5-7' leader/tippet. In deeper water (over 3' and with current) I will use a sink tip line in a 5wt and a short leader tippet. Usually on the sink tip I will use straight mono of 8# test.
I also carry cypert minnows in several configurations but have found for most of my white bass success, the clouser wins hands down.

Whit bass primarily feed on the bottom of the water column in current when the spawn is going on. Fish sandbar and gravel bar transitions to deeper water and outside bends in the rivers.

I use a 5wt rod and line and generally a shorter leader to stay better connected to the fly in the current.

fishin'
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

CYPERT'S MINNOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are the one's I have tied for this season...............
Attachments
cyperts-minnows.jpg
cyperts-minnows.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Ok Joe, I think I wanna try this white bass thing y'all are always talking about. When and where?
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

Keep watchin the post here and at AKA forum. When they start runnin and i have them located, I am gonna be taking some days off. One here, one there, kinda thing.

When I find them, I will holler at you. You can make a quick run to the Austin area and we will go get em!!!

You got a light weight flyrod? 4-6 will work. If not, do not worry!!! You can use my 5wt. I am using my new TFO 4wt this season.

Right now I am planning on fishing the full moons in March & April. I have to make some campground reservations soon. I will let you know what I schedule there too. I know Barry wants to hook up for the whites and so does Dean. I think Dean is gonna wait till I find them and try to come when he doesn't have a guide trip.

If you have never caught white bass on a flyrod during the run, you have no idea have much fun you have missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been a self taught flyfisher since I was in jr high. I never fly fished with any consistancy or success until I decided last year that I was going to use just the flyrod all season. I had the most successful white season when everyone else was not and it is just too much fun fighting these vicious little boogers on really light gear. That's what got me hooked on the flyrod, got me tying, taking casting lessons, etc etc etc etc etc etc .... you all know the routine from there....
Clip

Post by Clip »

Joe,

You forgot to mention how good whit bass TASTE.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Sounds good. I can almost always get away for a day or two during the week. Also, let me know when and where you plan on camping. Maybe I can bring the girls up for a campout.
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

LG
Like Fred posted, Clousers (Chart/wh & Gry/wh) have been the most productive fly for me. Second place goes to the Hart’s Ghost Minnow in the same color combinations.
Attachments
This ones tied with a Tungsten bead to get down quick, but regular beads work well in shallow water.
This ones tied with a Tungsten bead to get down quick, but regular beads work well in shallow water.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by GoinCoastal »

I want to tie some of those glass minnows. I will stock my flybox with the following for the whites.....

The cyperts shown above. Then an assortment of clousers in tan/white, chart/white, red/white, and all white and all chart. Then I figure some of these glass minnows and maybe some small epoxy head streamers. And a few small spoon flies too. I guess i better get busy at the tying bench!!!!
FLIES ONLY

Post by FLIES ONLY »

Joe, nice lookin Cypert's minnows. I like the looks of that thing. I might have to tie some up..............oh no...more flies!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
Barry's Dad

when the sand bass run

Post by Barry's Dad »

Howdy gang.
I have a way to tell when the sand bass run.
They wait until the water is at 60 degrees.
I also noted that the Redbud's bloom at this same temp

So I look for the sand bass when the RED BUDS BLOOM
Such a nice time of the year...

Of course the last few years the Spring rains have not come and we have had front after front coming along just at the wrong times. The cold will drop the water temps and the fish will just hold at the mouth of the creeks, or rivers that feed the lakes.
They are worth the wait.
ol Al
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by GoinCoastal »

Ted - I do tie my cyperts a little different than the recipe link. I tie my eyes on the back of the hook like a clouser, I add some krystal flash for the tail, and I tie the tail and mylar braid way down the hook. This way the minnow sets on the bottom with the hook up and the tail sticking up off the bottom. Since, the whites feed on the bottom, I tie my cypert for bumping the bottom instead swimming.