2 piece or 4 piece?

BoneDigger

2 piece or 4 piece?

Post by BoneDigger »

I decided on the TFO rod and now must decide between the 2 piece for $90 or the 4 piece for $140. Is there a benefit to a four piece beyond portability? Do they both bend at the right spots without putting too much pressure on the joint? I read where a two piece rod, because it has only one joint (feril?) actually puts more pressure on the joint because it is right in the middle of the rod. Is this true?

Todd in Tyler
freefl2

4pc or 2 pc

Post by freefl2 »

a quality rod maker will back their rod if a joint fails. A two pc rod has the advantage of being able to leave the rod threaded and the fly left on the rod for easy transport and quick setup. It is also nice when you need to hike in to someplace. You just fold your rod in half and viola no broken tip!

A 4 pc rod has the ability to fit in most hatches, allows for airport travel in a suitcase, but they do tend to be quite stiff if you do not spend a fairly high amount of money to get a VERY good quality multi section rod you may be very disappointed in the flex nature of the rod.

I personally don't use anything more then 3 pc rods I just hate lining up guides, and the less then smooth transistion of power to the tip of the 4,5,7,9 pc rods I tried.

Just my opinion.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

I got the 4wt 2pc for Christmas! I love it!!! I don't think you will be disappointed with the 2 pc!!!!!
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

As always, it comes down to personal preference in the rod, both in terms of portability and in casting.

Almost no manufacturers make a 4-piece rod that has the same bend profile (taper/action) as their comparable 2-piece. There are several reasons for this, but mostly it comes down to requiring a considerable bit of tweaking in the taper to make this happen, as well as redesigning the flags, and the material composition thereof, from which the blank is made. Each ferrule will be a result in stiff spot in the taper. Each ferrule must be accounted for in the dimensions and strength of the sections below it, since each ferrule requires that the section be reinforced in the area leading to the ferrule, this increases the weight which increases the stresses in the bending moments of the rod which lie below the ferrule.

Dont worry about the supposed weakness of the ferrule in a 2-piece. With the reinforcement required, it actually will be more stiff than the sections to either side of it, for appoximately 4-5 inches either way. One of the strongest spots in the entire blank is dead-centre of the ferrule with a spigot design, and at the end of the male section with a sleeve design. The TFO rods all have a sleeve design.

Get whichever rod you prefer, regardless of design considerations. Rods rarely fail at the ferrule, regardless of the number of pieces. Even so, should one fail at the ferrule, it would clearly be a design defect, or possibly a material defect and covered by warranty.

M-D
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I recently purchased a 9ft 4 pc 8 wt TFO rod. This is the first 4 peice I have owned and I'm impressed with the performance. It stores and transports well. I do appreciate the compact size. I have a case that has a reel pouch, and that too is convenient.

This rod breaks nearly in half and it's easy to leave the rod threaded and the fly left on the rod for easy transport and quick setup. The rod portions are similar in length, just pull apart the middle ferrule.

I drive a midsized SUV and try to store my fishing gear in the rear compartment on fishing trips. I've always had to fold down one back seat to accomodate the 2 pc rods, or at best arrange other items around them. The compact 4 piece allows me much more freedom of choice in this matter.

So far I have no qualms about the 4 pc rod. In the future, if price or performance is not an issue, the 4 pc get the nod.
fredtoo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by fredtoo »

ditto what flyguy said...

initially I was dead set against a 4 piece rod for all the reasons stated above and then some.

a trusted sales person at the local fly shop talked into buying one, and I like it much better than my 2-piece. Lining up the guides is no concern at all once you have done it a few times...plus, I plan to take it places a 2-piece does not like to go (planes, long car trips full of luggage and people, etc.)

if you are car traveling with rods and concerned about theft, you can carry on into the office, restaurant, hotel or whatever in it's short tube (or even your suitcase) without raising a bunch of eyebrows like a near 5ft. tube would.

at the end of the day though, it is your personal decision.

fredtoo
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

I like them all! For travel ease the 4 piece rods are great and the action does not seem to be alot different with a good 4 piece rod. But I like a light rod in my hand and have just found that less joints means less weight. I just got a new TFO TiCr 9wt 4 piece rod though and really like it alot in spite of the fact that it is heavier than a two piece would have been. Wish they made it in a 2 piece. I'd go for a one piece rod if I did not have to transport it very far. :lol:
gonefishn

Post by gonefishn »

I would suggest buying the TiCr rod, it's not much more & it cast a lot better

you can go to www.ezflyfish.com

they will give you an aluminum rod tube FREE with the rod

My husband bought me a TiCr 4 pc. 5 wt for Christmas, he also gave me a Ross Gunnison reel that he got on closeout at Cabela's ( my favorite reel I have another one also)

anyway I love my new rod

I also have 2 Sage XP's ( they are my favs)

This is a great rod for the money & the company stands by their stuff

I like the 4 pc. because it packs great in my Cobra FnD

Good luck
Nan[/url]
birddogs

Post by birddogs »

i have 4 2pc rods and 1 4pc rod . the only difference i have found is that i don't swear as much putting the 4 pc inside my 2 dr chevy tracker, when its pouring down rain.
kc kulhanek

Post by kc kulhanek »

I've got a 4-pc SAGE XP 7-weight as well as a 4-pc SAGE XP 5-weight. Those two rods cast as well or better than any other rod I've ever tried, 2 or 4-pc. Pricier, but w/ the warranty, definitely worth the money.
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

With one of the top rod names, I would have no trouble buying their 4 piece rod. With some of the lower end brands, I would cast them first.